Our Love Will be Remembered... (Ch 25)

OUR LOVE WILL BE REMEMBERED...

Chapter 25

The next woman I fell in love with was Irene. She was my eleventh love and the last one that wasn’t complicated, the last one that felt like the others before… the last one that wasn’t a complete disaster. Well not exactly. Coraline was a complete disaster. My last love was just unbearable for obvious reasons…

I met Irene because of my work. After all, I had chosen this career path for a reason.

Irene got into a car accident, a big car accident. I was the first on scene. She went into cardiac arrest right in front of me.

I saved her life.

I had experience how it felt to take someone’s life so often that saving someone life, giving them life, was a completely new and trilling experience.

And after saving her, I felt responsible for her.

Still, aside from saving her life there wasn’t anything grandiose about our love to be honest, I can see that now. Part of it was because of her of course…

But I’m getting ahead of myself…

So, back to Irene. She stayed in the hospital for a while. I visited her every day. Irene had no family and she had just moved recently, because of work, so basically no friends. She was all alone.

Because of that, I became the center of her world. It’s strange to say this but I was the only one around and I had saved her life and it had brought us close, of course.

We fell in love quickly.

To be honest, the thing I loved the most about Irene was the way she looked at me—like I was her whole world, or some deity. She had such adoration in her eyes when she gazed my way that it was impossible to be indifferent.

But I also I loved taking care of her. One would think that saving her life would be enough but it felt like I was in charge of her because of it. I had to keep taking care of her.

We spent a lot of time together. Because she was new to town I took her out, showed her nice places to go to.

Our relationship built slowly—she was a little shy. But I loved it, it was nice… it made me think of Maria sometimes…

Yes I loved Irene.

And she loved me.

And she died. She was the first and only I poisoned. There’s a reason for that. The night I killed her, she had been the one picking where our date would be and we had walked for a while in a great big park at least half an hour from the city, to have a late picnic, and she had admitted how when I had saved her from that car accident, when she had seen me at first she had thought I was an angel, the angel of Death coming to take her but she hadn’t mind because of how beautiful I was.

The thought was touching, but I think it hit a nerve too. After all, wasn’t I exactly that? Some sort of angel of Death? I told her our love would be worth remembering and I poisoned her drink and let her die there to make it look like a suicide. Death by poisoning wasn’t pretty. That’s why I never did it again.  

In a way it was fair that I took her life back. If I hadn’t saved her that day she would have already been dead…