The Letter

Scott ran his fingers over the letter in his hands with a small sigh. Boxes surrounded him, along the floor and table, and Vincent laid across his lap. He was talking about something, but Scott wasn't paying attention much out of worry.

The letter with the red label was from a hospital.

He debated how to even bring this up. He hadn't opened the letter yet, he didn't want to intrude, but it looked kind of serious. But Vincent must have noticed his somber silence, as he reached up a hand and ran it through Scott's hair.

"Scotty, honey?" He cooed. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, i-it's nothing..."

"It's not nothing. You're usually never this quiet, and..." He moved his hand down to Scott's free hand. "Oh, Scott, you're shaking."

"I-It's just..." Could Scott really tell him the truth? What if the letter was something bad, something that may take Vincent from him forever? Still, he wondered how Vincent may feel if he didn't tell the truth, and that possibility made it impossible for him to be untruthful. "... that letter you got. With the red label? It's... it's from a hospital." He heard a gasp. "I-I didn't want to tell you, because... I... I-I'm scared... I didn't even open it, I just..."

Vincent took a deep breath after hearing this news, trying to calm himself down before doing anything to help Scott. "... S-Scott... shh, just calm down..." He sat up, wrapping his legs around the other man's torso and pulling him into a hug. "... I-I'm sure it can't be too bad... and, if it is, w-we'll deal with it together..." He let out a little sigh. "... open it and read it to me."

With shaky hands, Scott tore open the paper envelope and took out the letter inside, unfolding it. His eyes scanned it, reading aloud. "Dear Vincent... Pricefield Hospital is pleased to inform you... t-that..." He put a hand over his mouth in surprise before continuing. "... a-an option for surgery has opened, which would hopefully be able to partially or fully restore eyesight in both eyes..."