Surgery

It'd been a few days since Vincent had first gotten the news of the surgery, and already the house seemed to be bustling with excitement. Papers were strewn across the dining room table; bills, plans, and other such things. Vincent and Scott were in and out often, visiting the hospital to make all the necessary preparations.

The date was set for the surgery: two weeks after Vincent had first heard the news. Vincent was giddy with excitement. And for both of them, that day couldn't come soon enough.

That day did eventually come, and Vincent was driven to the hospital by Scott (who else?). As they pulled into the parking lot, Scott kissed his forehead.

"Are you gonna be okay in there?"

Vincent sighed, hugging Scott tight. "Of course I will... don't worry about me, okay?" He sighed, enjoying this moment too much to let go. "But Scott? You have to promise me a few things."

"Of course. Anything."

"Are you gonna be there when I wake up?"

"Duh. I mean, I'll try to be... why wouldn't I?"

"I don't know, I've just... you know, I've been worrying a lot. Scott... are you going to leave me, after this?" He stopped Scott before he could respond, and continued. "I know you're a good person and all, but... it's not going to make you look good anymore, to be my boyfriend. It's always 'Oh, he's dating a blind man, what a good person, how inspiring'. But I had to win you over... or, we both had to get each other. And I'm a person, Scott, not a charity case. And... and I'm so lucky to have you, but since the beginning I've just been wondering... I've just wondered if you pity me more that you love me."

"Vincent..." Scott sighed a bit. "You could be sighted or not, or anything else, and it wouldn't matter to me. I'm confident that you're the love of my life. Nothing's going to change that." He looked down. "I know I maybe shouldn't bring her into this, but... I'm not Mahogany. And I'll be by your side until the end. I promise." He cupped Vincent's face in his hands, pulling him into a quick kiss. As they pulled away, he just smiled a bit and said "You should, uh... probably get in there."

And Vincent did just that.