Moving Day

"Jasper if you don't move any quicker my body is going to give out," I warned.

"I'm going as fast as I can," he groaned.

"We'll go quicker! I need you inside!"

His face was doing an excellent impersonation of a tomato as he used all his muscles. "It's so fucking tight . . . Christ."

"Just one more push, babe. You're almost there."

"Holy . . . shit . . . I can't . . . gah!"

Jasper let out a loud groan as he slid the sofa through the front door inside the house just in time for me to drop the box of kitchen supplies on it. I wasn't kidding when I said my body was about to give out. Who knew toasters and coffee pots could weigh so much?

After letting go of the sofa Jasper bent forward resting his hands on his knees to catch his breath. I too paused to shake my arms out after putting them through much strain.

"Shit that was tough," Jasper wiped the sweat off his forehead. I wasn't sure if it was from moving the furniture or from the summer sun beating down on us. Perfect weather for moving day, might I add.

"But you did it, my strong man," I patted his bicep affectionately before plopping down on the couch with a sigh. "Now only about thirty more boxes to go."

"Fuck me," Jasper ran his fingers through his messy hair. "Why did we decide to move again?"

"Well, originally I was the only one moving because I thought I was the only one living in Ridgefield but since you decided to drop the bomb that you also had a job lined up here, here we are," I spoke a little bitterly.

"Are you really still mad about that?" He asked taking a seat next to me.

"Seriously? How could I not be? I'm losing my mind for weeks thinking that I would be three hours away from you every day when in reality you already knew that wasn't going to happen."

"Yeah but you didn't have to slap me when I told you I got the teaching position."

"Yeah! A position you got months ago and didn't tell me!"

Jasper pursed his lips in thought. "Still didn't have to slap me."

"Whatever," I waved him off. "That's over with now. What I'm concerned about is how we are going to get all our stuff in before night time. I'm pretty sure that moving truck has a time limit."

"It does but don't worry. We will get it done," he kissed the top of my head. "It probably won't be unpacked for a few days, but at least we will have our belongings."

"Yeah," I snuggled closer to him and let out a sigh.

Only an hour in to unpacking and my body was already tired. Between my small apartment and his house I had no idea how we had so many things. But it was the small things like eating utensils and lamps really added up because they too need a spot in the truck. You don't think of these sort of things when moving into a new house, but it's true. No matter how small an object it is still has worth.

As I thought about the mountain of boxes and where everything went I played with Jasper's now calloused fingers. But even though it was a stressful day, a smile crossed my lips when I realized something.

"Can you believe it?"

"Hmm?" he rolled his hand around for me to get a better feel.

I paused lacing my fingers with his before saying, "We're actually moving in together."