Benjamin Scott Miller

BEN POV

I have made a lot of mistakes in my life. Majority of them revolved around my time on the football team or the first, and last, semester of college. I don't know what got into me, but it was definitely not a good time for me. Most of the time I regret the things that I've done, but a few days ago when the plane was going down and I covered my wife with my own body, I would never think that's a bad decision. Because the truth is, when it comes to saving Danica, there is no mistake. Even as I lay here, the back of my eyelids all I can see, and pain shooting through every inch of my body, I still couldn't regret it. As long as she was alive, that's all that mattered.

I won't lie and say laying here doesn't suck. Most of the time I fade in and out of consciousness. I worry constantly, but some times I hear the sound of Mom's trembling voice or the touch of a soft hand, and I know that I made it. When I heard my sister discuss something about Danica being asleep I could finally relax and fade back into my own slumber. That's all I'm good for now. But I welcome it.

Normally I don't have any dreams, but lately I've been filled with them. Strangely, they are more memory based than anything else. Not that I minded. It was nice to have something to watch while just laying here.

I had tons of great dreams, but my favorite one was the story of how I met Danica.

+++

My father told me that there will come a day that will forever change my life but I won't know it until a few years later. That happened to me when I was in Argentina helping out my group with building a new neighborhood. It was a terribly hot day to the point where no amount of water or lack of clothing would help lessen the heat. It was just plain miserable, and I was grumpy because of it, so I was ready to file the day under 'UNBEARABLE' when everything changed.

I was in the middle of working on sanding a wall when suddenly I heard a small voice ask me, "Are you using this?"

I stopped what I was doing to look over my shoulder when I was met with a large set of brown eyes. So large and beautiful I found myself growing transfixed by them in an instant. But I didn't stop there and instead took in the entirety of her.

She was a petite, dark caramel skinned woman with long black coarse hair pulled up in a thick bun exposing her slender neck, now glistening with sweat. For anybody else it might be a turn off, but she made it some how look good. Really good. And the way her shorts hugged her curvy hips, and the tight tank top. I thought I was in some sort of fantasy. For a second I forgot she even addressed me when she asked, "Hey, are you okay?"

I shook my head trying to gather my senses and said, "Yeah, uh . . . sorry. What were you asking?"

Behind her smile she released a small giggle that did a number to my heart.

"I was asking if you needed this," she held up my hammer. "I gave mine to someone else earlier and now I'm sort of in need so I can finish up the play set."

I blinked a few times trying to piece together who this woman was. Surely I would recognize her from before, especially someone with her undeniable beauty, but I was coming up with nothing.

"Yeah, sure. I won't need it for a while anyways."

Her smile widened. "Thank you!"