Chapter 7

It was my wedding day!

I had tossed and turned in my bed last night as I had vivid dreams of my marriage and those haunting eyes kept staring at me.

I did try my best to get as much sleep as possible as I did not want huge eye bags, but I just couldn't as my heart was beating thunderously and I felt a roller coaster of emotions churning inside me.

I wondered whether all women felt the same on their wedding day and concluded maybe they did.

Just thinking of living the rest of my life without mom beside me, made me want to cry my eyes out but the thought that this marriage could protect my family made my distress a little lesser.

It was only four in the morning and fajr was at five and as I had no desire to sleep, I went to the washroom and took a long shower, wore a new dress and offered thahajjud (prayed during the last part of the night) and did a long dua asking ALLAH to bless my marriage.

After fajr, I went down to mom's room but she was already in the kitchen. It looked like she hadn't slept a wink. When she spotted me, she stopped doing whatever she had her hands on and motioned me to follow her to the bedroom. There she advised me on how to live a married life. Some of the advice I hadn't expected to hear from mom ever in a lifetime and it left me colouring profusely.

When I came out of mom's bedroom the whole house was buzzing with noises, laughter and complaints.

Yes, complaints about not finding their things. Ayath was busy searching for her pink lipstick, Ali couldn't find his trousers and my dear mom couldn't find the right ingredients in her kitchen cupboard.

Normally, I would have laughed at the situation but I just kept staring at them.

"Why are you idling around, the beautician is already in your bedroom," Mom exclaimed.

I went to my room in a flash and sat at my dressing table as the beautician began trying her skilled hands on me.

I sat still for what seemed like ages and when I opened my eyes the sight that awaited me made me surprised. I saw very gorgeous women stare back at me, who had skin as white as milk and luminous eyes outlined with kohl, her lips soft and pink.

She had worked magic on me.

I put on my bridal lehenga which was sent by Aahil, he wanted to take care of all the wedding expenses. Ali had disliked the idea and argued in vain but had to agree in the end.

I examined myself for one last time in the mirror. My lehenga was a beautiful maroon colour with a golden border which was richly embroidered. The skirt was studded with small diamonds placed subtly all over and it swirled beautifully when I walked. The blouse was simple and elegant with matching worked and brocaded maroon dupatta which had golden coloured beads dangling on the sides.

The jewellery was made keeping in mind that it blended well with the colour of the dress. A huge diamond necklace with a giant ruby studded as the centrepiece and a set of matching earrings and a bunch of heavy gold and diamond bangles were also gifted by Aahil.

I felt nervous to be wearing such costly ornaments. It was the costliest dress I had ever owned in my whole life.

I looked alien to my own eyes. The girl staring back at me looked extremely alluring and her appearance shouted wealth.

As I finished dressing and came down I realised that the house was still chaotic with the buzz of conversation and activity in every part of the house. Some of the near relatives had already arrived at our house the previous day.