Chapter 12

I heard footsteps halting near Aahil's study as it was located exactly opposite to our bedroom and the door closed with a loud bang.

How dare he?

I mean how dare he?

I was not done with him yet. Today I would confront him and get a few of my questions answered.

Shoving my blanket off me, I adjusted my hijab in case there were bodyguards in the corridor and went towards his study. As I approached nearer I heard Dilshad's crisp tone, "Have you checked your reflection lately?"

"Why? What's wrong with my appearance?" Aahil enquired with confidence.

"You look like you haven't slept from ages."

"Because I haven't, I just cannot let that file get into wrong hands, you know it could cause havoc."

I heard Dilshad laughing.

"What is so amusing, May I ask?"

"I am really sorry. I did not laugh at your statement relating the file, as I clearly know its importance and the harm it could cause if we fail to find it before its too late."

"Then?"

"It looks like you had sleepless nights because you got married recently."

I coloured deep crimson on hearing that.

"Oh, shut up!"

"Ok, sorry. I was just trying to lighten your mood. I am well aware that things are not good between the two of you. But I would have been glad to see you as a happily married man."

I heard Aahil sigh loudly, "Dilshad please, marriage is the last thing I want to discuss right now."

"I know the reason to your distress," His tone held amusement.

"Please enlighten me," There was a sarcastic tone to Aahil's reply.

"Aleena has successfully crawled into your heart and mind. Whoa! just look at yourself. You could be mistaken for a heartbroken young man."

"I guess coming to the study was the wrong idea."

"Aahil you could fool the whole world with your facade of happy marriage but I know the truth and I still feel you care for Aleena. You are becoming overprotective about her."

"Ok. I agree that I badly want to believe that Aleena is as innocent as her appearance suggests. She has the face of an angel and those honey-brown eyes have such sadness in them that makes me want to comfort her and then I remember that it's Isaac she loves and not me. And then I am not sure how am I supposed to react."

Isaac?

Why was Isaac a part of all the conversations?

Argh.

Inshallah, I have faith in the wordings of ALLAH 'We have created everything in pairs so that you may remember' So I have hopes that eventually this marriage will work out.

Just because things haven't turned out as I expected does not mean it is the end of the world. Because there is a master planner and he will keep me heading in the right direction and all unexpected events will be incorporated into moving towards his plan. I just have to submit myself to his compassionate will.

"Now isn't the right time to get yourself tangled with feelings you are not sure about. We have a very important case to solve," Dilshad deadpanned.

"I'm not involved with her," Aahil replied with a serious note.

"Can I suggest something?"

"Fine. Go on."