Chapter 8

Momentarily, I couldn't get oxygen into my lungs, wild-eyed I stared back at him.

I was sure that I hadn't heard him right.

"Can you erase that shocked expression from your face and try smiling for the paparazzi," Aahil added as a mortified pink erupted over my cheekbones.

"But then if you don't smile and the more miserable and out of place you appear the less surprised everyone will be when this act comes to an end."

As he held me in the direction of the exit, I was in an agony of teeth-clenching discomfiture, "Do you mean there are reporters outside?"

A second later, I was confronted with the frightening sea of faces, snapping cameras and shouting questions.

I shivered violently, I wasn't used to this, Aahil doffed a shawl around my shoulders with exaggerating gallantry and banding a controlling arm round my spine, he strode silently parting the crowd towards the limousine.

Nobody got in our way and I was impressed by his cool, commanding presence and relieved when we got inside the comfort of the car.

In an intimidating silence, he had strode towards the car and helped me settle into the passenger seat.

Aahil's parents wanted us to spend some time with each other before he left for work, so instead of going to their family house, we rode towards Aahil's countryside villa.

My eyes which were filled with tears hardened as we rode out of the city onto the endless mountain road with its perilous bends and terrifying drops.

Throughout the journey, he had remained silent, other than asking, "Do you need anything?" a couple of times.

I kept stealing glances at him but he made it a point to keep his eyes glued to the road and after a few terrifying hours, I felt drained and drifted off to a deep slumber.

The limousine drew up in front of a large mansion.

It was dawn when we reached the countryside villa which was in the wood-side crowded by thick pines.

I looked at the villa in enchantment.

It was beautiful!

It had ageless cream-coloured stone walls, the three wings and the two-storey joined by a loggia supported on pillars lushly entwined by a giant jacaranda.

Surrounding the villa was a magnificent garden filled with flowers of all colour and variety.

The view from up here was breathtaking.

As we approached the entrance an elderly woman and an astonishing number of staff greeted us.

I wondered why he needed this number of staff.

The elderly woman introduced herself as the housekeeper and her name was Mariam.

I was propelled forward to meet the staff. It was a long-drawn-out process and such chattering friendliness could not be swiftly concluded.

Admittedly, I had been a little uncomfortable when Aahil had introduced me as his blushing bride to the domestic staff.

Once we stepped inside we were shown into a beautifully furnished master bedroom with a king-sized bed with red, white and pink rose petals scattered on it and the room glowed with the light from the several numbers of candles present.

Aahil dealt me with a sardonic glance, "You can sleep in the bed and I will take the couch."

'I am not sure I follow, Why are you being so terribly rude? What makes you think that I'm desperate to fling myself on you."