Chapter 25

Assalamu alaikum.

Dedicated to honey9845

I stood staring at the lifeless body, frozen, unable to move.

I felt nothing.

A policeman appeared, followed by Mr Hamilton, Superintendent, a few other men in overalls. They were surrounded by a crowd, consisting of hospital staff and guests.

All seemed to be staring at the horribly mangled body lying across the floor of the crushed elevator.

I wanted to throw up as nausea stirred in the pit of my stomach. I closed my eyes for an instant and held a piece of nearby furniture for support.

Poor women.

The policeman turned to, Karthik Oberoi, the owner of the hospital, "Her name?"

The owner glared at one of the doctors and urged him to answer the enquiries, "Her name was Priyanka Shetty."

"Has the family been informed?"

The doctor turned towards the receptionist and repeated the question which was directed at him.

The receptionist shrugged, "She has not submitted her residential address or phone number. So it's impossible to convey the unfortunate incident to her family."

"Did she not submit her curriculum vitae as per the hospital rules?"

"Actually she did, but after her husband disappeared, she was very heartbroken and decided to change her residence. She could no longer stay in her husband's apartment without his presence and had promised to pass her whereabouts as soon as she shifted to her new permanent address. She was staying with one of her friends for the time being."

"Disappeared?" The police superintendent raised his eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

"Yes. He disappeared into thin air. I heard a few people say that he had an extramarital affair and therefore he eloped with her."

"Where was her husband working?"

"He was working in A1 International. I guess he was some kind of scientist."

Scientist?

"His name?"

The receptionist shook her head, "Sorry."

Just then a nurse in hospital uniform came forward parting the crowd, "His name was Hari Prasad Shetty."

Mr hamilton turned to the nurse in whose uniform there was name tag, Elvera rose, "Did you know where she lived?"

She made a helpless gesture, "I guess It's in Sylvia street, fourth block, house number twenty."

"Thank you for the information Miss rose."

The police superintendent turned to one of the uniformed policemen, "Have the elevator buttons and doors tested for fingerprints."

He then turned towards Mr Hamilton, "Go to the given address. Talk to the neighbours. Find out all you can about Priyanka and her husband and then go to A1 International and do some query. Get all the information you can."

He then turned to another policeman, "Check police records if Priyanka or her husband have any history. If you think of anything that might be helpful ------ "

One of the guests said slowly, "Poor nurse. What a terrible accident."

No sooner had the words left the guest's mouth, That a man in overalls held up two jagged ends of heavy cable. "It is not an accident. Someone cut the lift's safety brakes."