Chapter 24

Assalamu alaikum.

Dedicated to Afia20

___________________

I was in the intensive care watching Aahil with raw intensity. He looked haggard and tired, a thick shadow across his jaw.

"Aahil," I murmured in a low voice, "You're going to be alright InshaAllah," I tried to muffle my sobs, stuffing the edges of the handkerchief inside my mouth.

He appeared so unwell. His eyes were so deeply shadowed and it looked like he had lost a few pounds.

In the past few days prior the dreadful accident, Aahil had been so sweet and caring, he had tried his best to reduce my worries and I wasn't even able to mumble a thank you in return.

Unthinkably, I ran my fingers through his hair for a few minutes and kissed his cheeks. He did not stir and was still breathing heavily.

It felt like time had stopped the moment I heard Aahil had met with this fatal accident. My life felt hollow like all the warmth had been sucked out of it.

I interlocked our fingers and sat beside him in a chair, watching him intently, my gaze unwavering. I held his hand to my heart and closed my eyes thinking about good memories. Days when we had tried to be good to each other. During a conversation, Aahil had asked me what would I like as our one-month anniversary gift and I had shaken my head saying that I didn't need anything.

But I did want it now.

I wanted him.

"Oh, Aahil please wake up. I want to listen to your voice once again. I do not wish to live my life without you. There were numerous times that I felt like flinging myself on you, letting you know that I want you. But I didn't want to sound needy and so I had suppressed my feelings."

There wouldn't be a bigger fool than me. I knew the pain of losing someone very close to heart and I still hadn't learnt the lesson to value someone when time permitted.

Even though we all had tried not to breakdown completely after dad's death and mom had been like a strong pillar during the tough times, the deep empty void was always there and would always remain.

Only mom's constant reminder's of accepting Allah's qadar had kept me going and now I needed to strengthen my faith if I wanted to stay strong.

I opened my book and started reading the dua to be read during a calamity or when hardship befalls.

Yaa Allah, I hope for your mercy. Give me the patience to overcome the present hardship. All might and power belong to you.

______________

I was sitting quietly in the hospital room we were booked in when my phone buzzed.

"I am sorry to disturb you, Mrs Hussain. But a very important matter needs to be addressed."

"What is it Dilshad?"

"A committee wants to meet you."

"What and Why?"

"A committee of A1 solutions."

"Why?" I questioned once again, unable to find a sensible answer.

"Supervisors from several departments of A1 International have created a committee known as A1 solutions. Basically, they are problem solvers and they wish to have a word with you."

"Is this related to business?"

"Unfortunately, it is," He replied meekly.

"Then, make it absolutely clear that all business dealings need to wait until Aahil's recovery."