Chapter 20~

Aahil turned pale, it was visibly clear that he was astonished by what he heard. He was trying his best to calm himself by breathing in and out. We exchanged puzzled looks as my mind churned with numerous emotions.

I sat there stunned. I couldn't bear to think of Uncle Haroon as a traitor or as a person responsible for dad's death. He was like a father figure, someone who was dear to my heart. We had stuck together through thick and thin.

"You just cannot doubt someone without proof," I said hurriedly, hoping the discussion would end.

Aahil tightened his grip on my hands, "I understand your dilemma. But at this point, we cannot afford to trust anyone."

"But that does not give us the right to doubt innocent people," I reasoned. The more I thought of Uncle Haroon as a traitor, the more my heart sank.

"We aren't blaming him. Just suspecting," Dilshad replied, trying to calm me.

I was filled with sudden foreboding, "I don't know what ......"

"So precisely, for how long has your family know Mr.haroon?" Detective Hamilton asked holding his pen on a clean paper, ready to jot down whatever escaped my lips.

"I have known him and his family forever and most probably he has even put me to sleep by singing a lullaby, when I was a child," I did not want to do this. It felt so wrong to put him on that spot. "Even though we weren't blood-related, he and dad were like brothers. I have never witnessed them fight. He is one of the most honest people I have ever known. So it is impossible for him to be ever be involved in anything that could harm my dad or any member of my family," I went on blabbering in haste to make them understand my point.

"The prospect of becoming rich, famous and successful can turn a sane person into a monster," Lissa exclaimed.

Ok. That was it. I did not have the heart to sit around and be a part of this conversation.

I got up abruptly, "You'll-you'll have to excuse me. I'm not feeling fine."

Aahil was instantly apologetic, "Aleena please calm down, sweetheart," He got up from his place, "Let's have a break and continue the discussion later. I'm sure Ms.Mariam will be glad to serve us lunch."

True his words, A male servant entered inviting everyone to the dining hall where lunch was served.

A hearty meal was prepared and the table was elaborately lined with various dishes. There was biryani, chicken ghee roast, flavoured yoghurt, prawn and french fries, fruit salad and red velvet cheesecake for dessert.
Even though the food had the rich aroma coming from it, it did not tempt me the way it usually did.

My hand was still firmly held by Aahil and his touch gave me some reassurance that everything was going to be fine.

I sat down at the table as everyone began taking their respective seats. I picked at the meal in a desultory fashion as I struggled to understand what I had been told.

Was I listening to the ravings of some unknown detective? And doubting the people who would go to any length if I were to need them.

I hade no appetite. I gave up on the meal and humbly excused myself. Slow and mindless steps took me to our private terrace, the cool gush of wind blew across and I let it wash over me.

My temple was throbbing from the sudden headache I had developed and I closed my eyes, not quite sure whether I was even conscious as I felt myself being enveloped in a warm hug. Hard hands curved to my hips from behind as he pulled me against him.

My heartbeat set overdrive.
Cautiously I leant against him.

"Did you offer your Zuhr namaz," Aahil questioned as he massaged my forehead.