Chapter One: (Earlier)

Chapter One: (Ealier)

   Katalina smiled at her cousin. "Since when do you listen to Justin Beiber?" She asked, turning down the volume to 'Baby' by Justin Beiber.

    Max, her cousin, flinched. "I don't. It's Aurora's." Aurora is Max's little sister. Max shook her head in wonder at how her little sister could be related to her.

    "She's going to freak when she can't find it." Katalina laughed, knowing it was probably true. Aurora was a nice kid, but she was kind of a handful. She often babysat Aurora for her Aunt Olivia for a few extra dollars when needed.

    Max groaned. "Oh, God, your right. I should have reminded her to take the damned thing out!" She said, still shaking her head.

    Katalin watched the cars drive past. Max is twenty and able to drive. Katalina is only sixteen, but very mature for her age. Somehow she hadn't inherited her brother's odd actions, or childish behavior. James, Katalina's brother, had a thing for being the wanna-be-bad-boy. Katalina found it rather funny to watch him try and be scary. His attempts were AFV worthy.

    "What are you spacing so hard on, Kat?" Max asked from the driver's seat. Katalina shook her head, pushing a strand of blond hair behind her ear.

    "I don't know, just thinking I guess." She said, smiling in Max's direction. Max and Katalina were going to the mall in Freeman Heights. It was a long drive from Heaven City, but they were willing to make the journey for school. Well, Katalina's still in high school, but Max was visiting from her college in California.

    "We'll be there in like ten minutes, you should hide all the valuables." Max smiled. Katalina unbuckled her seat belt, and balanced herself.

    Max screamed, it rang in Katalina's ears. She turned to look out the window, but gravity flung her backward. She broke the glass of the car's windshield, and landed on the road. Katalina's body ached everywhere. With lazy eyes, she watched the car spin and crash into a tree sitting in the patch of woods on the side of the road.

    She let her head drop onto the cold snow. She could feel every sprain, bruise, and every broken bone in her body. And yet, she felt no pain; just a numbness that spread quickly throughout her body. She heard a low growl somewhere around her.

    Katalina lifted her head slowly, her breaths coming in white puffs from her blood covered lips. Something nudged her stomach, and whimpered. Grunting, Katalina pushed herself to look. It was a wolf.

    Seeing her move, the wolf looked into her eyes. The wolf's eyes were a gold color, and made Katalina's simple blue ones look plain. The wolf moved slowly towards Katalina's face. Oddly, Katalina didnt feel the need to move, or shrink away from the wolf.

    A car whizzed by, spraying Katalina with dirt and melted snow. She closed her eyes for a second, despite herself, enjoying the cold feel of water on her over-heated wounded body. The wolf nudged Katalina's face, making her eyes open slowly. 

    She should scream, she should move away from the dangerous creature, but she instead inched closer to the fascinatingly real wolf. The car that had whizzed by was in reverse and slowly making it's way back to Katalina. Katalina didn't feel the need to move, or make any indication that she was here.

    The wolf continued to nudge at Katalina, looking up at her everyone in a while. Katalina eye'd the car, where Max was probably lying in pain. Katalina didnt feel pity, or fell guilty for not wanting to move and help Max. She felt at peace.

    The car came to a stop, and a boy got out. Maybe late twenties, early thirties. He was tan, and wearing no shirt. How was he not cold? He walked to Katalina and measured how badly she must hurt.

    The wolf hadnt moved away from the boy, instead he walked to him and sat next to his legs like a dog. Katalina watched in fascination. Then the boy gently sank to his knee's and picked up Katalina as though she were glass. Katalina didnt moan, groan or protest as he gently piled her into the back seat of his car.

    Her brain was fuzzy. She didnt understand anything happening in front of her. She cuddled closer to the blanket she was lying on. The boy kept open, and the wolf jumped in. After the boy had closed the door, the wolf looked at Katalina in the eye and then laid down next to her.

   The wolve's warm fur felt good on Katalina's cold shivering body. She let her eyes close. And that was the last thing she remembered.

*Author Note*: Thank you for reading. Comment, like, do whatever, but do NOT advertise your stories on here. Thank you:D

Love and Tater-tots,

Lovely:)