Chapter Thirteen: Nothing's Normal Anymore

Chapter Thirteen:

   ~*Katalina*~

After school, Katalina walked to her locker, shoved her books inside of it, then walked outside with other kids. She felt him there, but kept her head down. Katalina was still very confused on the Aric thing. He called her worthless, then said he wanted to try, kissed her, took her to his house, then was a jerk, and then he kissed her. Yes, confused was was the right word.

   Thinking about Aric's kiss made Katalina blush. "Kat." Katalina didnt stop when he said her name, though it was very hard. "Kat? What did I do this time?"

   Katalina sighed and stopped walking. "Everything!" She breathed. Then she stopped breathing. Aric was closer than she thought. Very much closer. She looked up when she realized that she was looking at his chest. She took a step back.

   Aric attempted to hide the hurt in his eyes, but Katalina saw right through it. Aric looked down, then back up. "Care to explain?" He asked calmly.

   "Do you like me or not?" Katalina blurted out. Then she bit her lip. Hard. She felt pathetic. "You don't have to answer--!"

   "I don't know yet." Aric answered honestly. While Katalina liked the honesty she was hoping for a yes. But she nodded, and she took a deep breath.

   "Would you...Would you maybe want to come to my house?" Katalina asked, kicking a rock away from her.

   Aric paused. "Sure," he said slowly, as if trying it out. 

   Katalina was surprised yet excited. "Really?" She asked, looking at him.

   Aric smiled. "Yeah. But, why?"

   "I-I...Have...Uh, some questions for you?" Katalina made it sound like a question unintentionally. Aric nodded, as if on his own planet. "Yeah." She added, sighing at her stupidity.

   When they arrived, Katalina had hoped she at least somehow cleaned before she'd left. She pushed open the door and bit her lip. The door slip open. She sighed with relief as she saw her house was semi-clean. It would do though. Aric laughed. "Your house is spotless."

   Katalina realized he must have noticed her look of relief. "Oh, it's seen better days."

   Aric looked at her, quirking an eyebrow. "I live with more than five guys, Kat."

   Katalina laughed nervously. "Oh, yeah. Right." Katalina closed the door behind him. "So, uh, do you want anything?"

   Aric shoved his hands in his jean pockets and shook his head. "Nah, I'm fine." He said. Katalina needed some water, though, so she left and waltzed into the kitchen. She pulled out a glass and poured some water in it. 

   Someone's arms snaked around Katalina's waist. She froze. Aric laughed, his breath tickled her ear. Katalina couldn't take his teasing, she dropped the glass and spun around, crashing her lips to his.

   Aric was caught by surprise, but when he came to he groaned. She was killing him. He pulled back. "Kat..."

   Katalina opened her eyes, and then she realized what she'd just done. "Oh, uh, sorry." Katalina turned back to the glass she's dropped and sighed, softly.

   Aric pulled her back to him. "Don't apologize," he said, looking into her beautiful eyes.

   Katalina felt a blush into her cheeks as she grinned. She stood on her toes and kissed his cheek. Then turned back to her glass. "You sure you don't want anything?"

   Yes, I want you, he thought to himself. But Aric just watched as Katalina walked to the fridge to get the cold pitcher of water. 

   Katalina opened the fridge, taking the pitcher before she felt Aric put his hands on her hips and pull her from the enterance of the fridge. She stared at him, bearing a very confused face. Aric took the brown tin of eggs, using his other hand to push the fridge door closed.

   Katalina felt her eyebrows raise as she put the pitcher and her glass on the counter, crossing her arms. "What--?"

   Aric put the egss on the counter and then smiled at Katalina. "Where do you keep your bowls and forks?" He asked, turning on the stove. There was a black pan already on the electric stove.

   Katalina handed him a yellow bowl and fork, watching him as she did. "You can cook?"

   "'Course I can, my Mom won't make me food." Aric laughed. Katalina chuckled softly. Aric began to make some eggs while Katalina watched him.

   "So, uh, can I ask my questions now?" She asked.

   Aric looked up at her, with a guarded expresion. "...Sure."

   Katalina ignored his hesitation. "This mate thing, how come I can't feel your emotions?"

   Aric glanced up. "What makes you think that happens?"

   Katalina mentally kicked herself. "Uh, isn't that--?"

   Aric chuckled, his chest moving. "Don't worry, your right. But until I claim you, you will not feel my emotions. I can feel your emotions, but only the deep ones." He left out the part about having a human mate was rare.

   Katalina looked at him. "Claim me?"

   "Yes," Aric answered, stirring the eggs. "Claim you. Mark you. Make you mine. Forever."

   Katalina nodded absentmindedly. "Oh." She let that sink in. "Why haven't you?"

   "Katalina..." Aric said, caught off guard for the second time right now. "I haven't claimed you because of your mortality."

   "My mortality? You mean because I'm human?" Katalina wasn't mad, just curious.

   Aric was thankful for that. "Yes, I-I just don't want to get attached to someone who won't always be there for me." He didn't really know how to explain his emotions.

   Katalina looked at him. "Aren't mates supposed to be wolves, too?" She questioned, wondering why'd she never asked before.

   Aric glanced up at her again. "Usually."

   Silence.

   "So, me being human...that's not...Normal, is it?" Katalina stumbled, searching his eyes for the answer.

   "No. It isn't." He breathed, looking at the eggs. 

A/N: I am not happy with this chapter. I know that when I edit, I will have A LOT of editing to do. *Sigh* :(

   Love and tater-tots,

    *Leeann*