Chapter Twenty-Three: Afraid

~*Katalina*~

   Katalina shifted almost soundlessly to turn and watch Aric sleep. She could hardly believe he was leaving her. 

   While his intentions were pure, she felt somewhat hurt. She was propped up on her elbow, the sheet draped over her. She discreetly remembered waking up in the middle of the night, feeling the weight of something being dropped on her legs. Aric was tucking in her legs with the sheet.

   After their talk about mating, Katalina realized that she, no matter how much she put up a front, she wasn't ready. She wanted to, she did.

   But she couldn't. While she knew that they were literally meant for each other, she had to keep in mind the short time they actually have been together.

   ...However, that didn't stop her from having a steamy make-out session.

~*Aric*~

   He felt her body shift over his arm lying under her head. Their legs were intertwined and his shirt was off.

   He was somewhat relieved when she didn't ask farther about mating. While he loved her wholly, he knew deep inside she wasn't ready.

   They had a late night talking about everything. Missy, James, her Mom, his Mom, both of their dads. Everything.

   He felt her study him, and he realized he could picture waking up like this for the rest of his life. A dull ache throbbed in his chest knowing he was leaving her tonight.

   But hope flared knowing he was going to stop who was hurting his mate. He let out a slow breath and said, "Like what you see?"

   Katalina jumped slightly but began to giggle lightly. She kissed him gently on the lips before answering, "Love it."

   Aric opened his eyes suddenly and had her pinned under him in under three-seconds flat. He loved the sudden scare in her eyes that was quickly replaced with laughter and love. "Do you know what I love?" He bent down to nuzzle her neck.

   Katalina drew in a sharp breath as his soft lips touched her skin, raising goosebumps. "Oh," she whimpered slightly. She recovered quickly, silently loving the feel of his fingertips around her wrists above her head. "Uh, cars?"

   Aric pulled away to quirk and eyebrow, then bent his neck again. "Guess again."

   Katalina sighed. "You're kind of making it hard to think, Aric." She said, but there was pleasure in her voice.

   Aric laughed, and it tickled Katalina's skin. He said, "But the answer isn't hard. I have my world under my--" His mouth was open in mid-sentence when Katalina thrust herself upwards and kissed him along with flicking her tongue in his mouth briefly before coming back down. "--feet." He blurt out, happily startled.

   Katalina laughed under him. "Told you it was hard." She winked, pushing herself up again to kiss his neck this time. Aric smiled, laughing at how playful she was.

   "Yeah," he agreed smoothly, "it is." Suddenly, beneath him, Katalina stiffened, closing her eyes. Aric put his hand to her cheek, still poised above her.

~*Katalina*~

   Katalina opened her eyes, sighing and defeated. She licked her bottom teeth in irritation and said, "Your dad wants to leave soon."

   "How do you know?" Aric asked, startled by the sudden change in subject, Katalina looked at him, quirking a brow.

   "Apparently your Dad is really important to the forest," Katalina shrugged, sliding off of Aric and into her bathroom. Aric watched her go, the dull ache in his chest throbbing.

   Inside the bathroom, Katalina looks in the mirror and then rubs her eyes, trying not to cry. She felt like slapping herself. Instead, she looked herself in the mirror and whispered to herself, "Pull it together, Johnson."

   Just because he was leaving didn't he wasn't coming back. He'll come back to her. He had to. "And if he doesn't," Katalina counter argued herself.

   She paused, looking at herself straight in the eye. Katalina looked down, away from herself, away from the truth, away from what could hurt her.

   "Kat?" 

   Katalina's head snapped toward the sound of Aric knocking slightly on the door, making her let out a slow breath. "Yeah?" 

   "Let me in, beautiful," he murmured. Katalina could hear how close he was to the door, and suddenly realizing that he might have been listening to her.

   Katalina rubbed her eyes once more and turned to the door. She put her hand around the knob and twisted it, not sure if she was ready to face him leaving her.

   She knew she sounded childish. He was only leaving her for a short while, nothing too dramatic. Katalina admitted that maybe she wasn't scared of him leaving, maybe it  was her afraid of him not coming back.

   Of him leaving her to face the world alone.

   Her heart squeezed at the simple sight of him. He was gorgeous. "Yes?" She questioned softly, not looking at him but instead at the ground.

   Aric reached to her and tilted her head up to look at him. "Kat," he whispered, getting closer to her, only an inch from her lips. "I love you."

   His lips brushed hers as he talked, and it made her stomach fill with butterflies. She inched forward and kissed his lips lightly. "I love you too."

   Aric smiled. "I know," he teased, putting his arms on her waist. He closed his eyes and kissed her full on, and when he opened them, Kat had her eyes closed and her jaw clenched.

   She sighed, opened her eyes, which flashed green, and then pulled away from him. "Go." She ordered, taking a step back. She nodded, flashing him an encouraging smile. 

   Aric gave her a sad smile, reached for her hand and kissed it. He let their arms go limp but he didn't let go. "Such a bittersweet farewell."

   Katalina chuckled, leaning against the door frame of her bathroom. She blinked slowly, prolonging the moment, then she took her arm and crossed them in front of her. "Now go."

   Aric blew her a kiss, laughing, and then turned toward the door. It was only a few steps when he heard the floor squeak behind him. He turned and saw a flash of blond before tiny arms were around his waist and a warm tingle spread on his body.

   "You come back, do you hear?" She demanded, pushing away from him to stare at his eyes. "If you die, I'll freaking kill you. Again."

   "Kat, this is for you. Nothing will happen." He soothed, kissing her soft hair. "I have to go."

   Katalina pulled back, smiling. "Get the hell out of my house."

A/N: Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around to update lately but I'm trying. Anyway, I have a new book called: 'The Heart Break,' and I wanted to know what you guys thought of it. Thanks <3

~*'Lizbeth