Chapter Twenty: I'll Be There

Chapter Twenty:

   ~*Aric*~

   "Son," Paul Jenson said, pushing his chair back and standing, "Someone has gone in to the Morgue and identified the body."

   Aric nodded and crossed his arms. "Good. Do we know who it is?" He questioned. He still hadn't seen Katalina all day. The one time he'd escaped his fathers watchful eye, she wasn't home.

   Paul motioned for Aric to sit down, and Paul did the same. He folded his hands on his desk. "Aric," he breathed. "It seems your mate was the one to identify his body."

   Aric straightened, alert now more than ever. "How is that possible?"

   "Because," he sighed, "it was James. James Johnson. He was Katalina's brother."

   Aric sat back, stunned. "Her brother? As in...her brother?" Why would Kent kill an innocent? Paul said something then but Aric didn't here. His intuition flickered, just last night Katalina had told him of Missy Templeton, how they'd been close friends. And now this.

   Paul nodded. "Unfortunutley so."

   "Why is Kent doing this? What did James have to do with him?"

   Something flashed across Paul's face; guilt? Sadness? But he simply answered, "I don't know."

~*Katalina*~

   Katalina sniffed against the tears threatening to escape again. She'd just left a note at the fire station at which her mother worked. All she'd said was: 'It's really important, Mom. Please come home.'

   Katalina pulled into her drive way, reliving her nightmare of a day again in her mind...

   Katalina followed the...doctor? Morgue-person?...Into the room, uncertain. Could he really be dead, Katalina asked herself over and over again.

   The lady in the long coat walked over to a metal drawer and pulled out a long thin metal slat...Something was under the white sheet. The lady looked at Katalina, her face soft. "Are you ready?" She questioned, placing her hands on either side of the cloth.

   Katalina bit her lip and nodded slowly. She put her arms around herself and tried to calm her frantically beating heart. The lady nodded and pulled back the sheet.

   His face was pale, his lips blue, his eyes open and red. Katalina screamed, throwing herself as far away from him as she could get. "No, no, no," that was her mantra.

   The lady walked over to Katalina and said, "Do you recognize him, miss? It's okay if you don't." Katalina cried out as she backed up against the wall, her hand over her mouth.

   "What happened to him?" She'd asked. The lady's face crumpled in what was probably pity.

   "There are some scratches and signs of struggle, but the fatal wound was a knife to the heart." The lady said, reaching for Katalina.

   "My brother, oh, God, my brother." Katalina cried. The lady took Katalina out of the room, leading her to the waiting room outside. There, she handed Katalina a cup of water and a bag. Katalina threw up in the bag. She then walked into the bathroom, swished water in her mouth, then spit it out. When she came back out into the waiting room, she sat down and put her head in her hands.

   The lady rubbed her back. "Did your brother have any enemies?"

   Katalina shook her head, still feeling woozy. "He'd left a long time ago. He just came back a few days...A week ago. Maybe longer. He couldn't possibly have any enemies by then."