FwB Chapter 14: Comprehensions

His brain felt like it was pounding its way out of his head. Looking at Satoshi who paid him no mind from outside the open limo door, he glanced at the elevator entrance again and almost kicked himself for not going in with Michiru…She seemed to be taking her time taking Tenoh to bed...and it irked him how comfortable everything between them seemed. For the nth time that night, he wondered how their relationship came to be…and what the blonde woman did to get to the violinist…and why it wasn't something that he can't or have yet the ability to do…

He sighed loudly and pressed his digits over his temples, giving the elevator another look before biting the bottom of his lip and leaning back into his chair, legs shaking uncontrollably as he did so.

Michiru had the knack of asking why he cared so much when he wasn't supposed to…But business venture or not…was it too much asking for it to work out? Recently all her actions seemed to remind him of Yui. From that defiant look in her eyes to the way she spoke to him…always tired, seemingly defeated, but those eyes…always begged to differ.

He and Yui were friends to begin with…and he reckoned that was why comparing the two sisters almost came naturally. Ever since he could remember they always shared a common interest in upholding Kaioh-Miroku. He never saw her as anything more…and kind of wondered why the marriage had to happen in the first place, having one more thing to add to the list of what he agreed with her about. He shared this with her…his disinterest in her being his wife—partner, yes…but wife was stretching it. It wasn't that she wasn't pretty—she was gorgeous in her own right. There just wasn't a spark.

But maybe he shouldn't have been so open…

He sighed again and looked at the vinyl of the limo's ceiling, his mind taking him to the events that passed many years ago.

He felt awful…when he was told that she had died. He felt that he was partially to blame…Maybe if he showed interest…maybe if it was more than a business venture…she wouldn't have had the need to kill herself.

It's not that he thought himself vain enough to think that he was the catalyst for her death…He knew there was so much more involved other than his claimed disinterest. But…he should've tried harder. He sussed all of them should've tried harder…Yui included.

He bit his bottom lip.

Why did he care? The real question should've been why shouldn't he?

It's bad enough to lose someone he considered a friend more than just a mere business partner…but if it were to happen again, Kaioh-Miroku wouldn't be worth it…That CEO spot…shouldn't be threaded with a trail of blood…even though it's already started to be paved with it.

"Sorry to keep you waiting."

He looked up to a bloodshot violinist and immediately grew worried.

"Are you okay?"

The door closed as she sat in the side where Hikaru sat before, sighing as she did so and tucking some loose curls behind her ears. She looked up at him and attempted a smile as the car moved forward.

Nodding Michiru stated, "Haruka was just being a problem child…She's had a lot to drink tonight…Not that she's normally like that…just…"

It seemed as if she was making excuses for the blonde…almost reminding him of the night he met Shigeru Toshiro.

At first sight, it was clear who was stronger between the two…Yui and Toshiro. They had all gone out for dinner as a celebration for Yui's acceptance into Todai in her last year of high school and it was in this little get together when he finally met him…her boyfriend. And as soon as he saw him, he didn't get what she saw…