FwB Chapter 16: Doubts

She was awake long before the owner of the house as well as her daughter, but did not go downstairs. She had tried once, but when she snuck a peak at how they were both still comfortably snug against one sofa together, she went back upstairs. It struck her then during these couple hours before dawn when she waited out for either of them to wake that she wasn't as proud, nor strong, nor confrontational as she thought she once was. It may have been the one-sided talk Michiru and her had yesterday…or it could've been the fact that she saw the entire conversation she and Haruka shared last night as she stayed in the shadows of the staircases. Regardless of the reason, she had not felt the need to gallivant in between the two women and break them up. She was so sure she would…but she was given the chance and she didn't.

She sighed outwardly.

What was wrong with her? Her daughter was downstairs in the arms of another woman when she's scheduled to marry a nice enough man in a matter of a month and she chose not to do something about it. Maybe the fact that she knew they weren't doing nor going to do anything served as her leeway for not going downstairs right known and start yelling.

She saw it last night…how they interacted. They were nothing short off a real couple. If there was even one kiss on the cheek they would've looked like a real couple…but maybe her presence in the house restrained them from doing anything? She doubted it. Michiru would not have had that talk with her if they truly were together.

The real question now was whether or not she would entertain her daughter's plea and try to look at the good sides the young CEO had. The violinist was resolute on keeping her end of their so-called bargain and she knew she wouldn't have had the need to speak about the matter if it didn't mean the world to her…

What did Haruka do to her?

What did she do to make the barrier that was suppose to be there between women and relationships disappear altogether? And then it was here when she questioned herself about knowing her daughter. Really knowing her daughter. Had she always had an affinity for women? Since when? And…why? As far as she knew, this…phase…came out of nowhere.

But she was starting to really doubt that it was merely a phase…nor wedding day jitters—the only people that had that were soon-to-be weds that were actuallyexcited for the event…not dreading it.

She could still remember her wedding day…and how angry she was because of the fixed marriage. Call her a hypocrite, but she hated the entire thing and wished her parents as well as Miroku Tea Company would fall off a cliff the night before. She felt the only thing good about the entire thing was that Shinji wasn't ugly. He was infuriatingly handsome, confident, and knew the insides and out of tea companies like she did. She could tell he hated it too, but he didn't show it as often as she did.

They didn't have sex the night of their "honeymoon." They had a verbal squabble instead. She had told him exactly what she thought of him and he did the same. By the end of it, they were in separate rooms…not exactly a different hotel, but very close to it. She had thought that, that would be the gist of their marriage…but Shinji was surprisingly annoying.

Maybe it was to bug her. Maybe he thought her irritated demeanor was more or less funny. Maybe…he was lonely and wanted more of the marriage than she did…but the elder male Kaioh made it a point to seek her out during and after company hours just to make his presence known…and sooner rather than later, she had gotten used to his.

There wasn't a romantic story behind it like him catching a cold and her having to take care of him. They didn't go on dates—dating after already being married seemed like a stupid idea in and of itself. It was merely getting used to him…and him getting used to her. A year into their marriage and he had asked oh so cheekily about a successor and she sussed it was in the nine months she had Yui in which they really got close.