22

"God Calum, you're so stupid sometimes." Mali muttered for what had to be the fifth time since Calum had arrived. He sighed, not understanding what the massive deal was.

"Why?" He muttered, leaning forward in the plastic hospital chair as he watched his sister impatiently. He chose to come visit, promised in fact, and now he was regretting it. Calum was obviously hoping for a nice visit where they talked aimlessly about whatever.

"You literally brushed Michael off like a sack of shit." She scowled, crossing her arms as she frowned.

"Don't talk about Michael like that, he's perfect." Calum mumbled, making it rather obvious that he wasn't really paying attention because his mind was somewhere else.

Mali groaned in frustration, clearly she was the only one in this room with her head screwed on right, anyone with three brain cells could tell that Calum had feelings for Michael--feelings that he was avoiding--it was time for him to grow a pair and admit them.

"Wow," Mali cheered suddenly, sitting up so quickly you'd think she'd spotted Daniel Radcliffe down the hall.

Calum stood up reflexively, attempting to make her lay back down.

"I feel better, what a miracle, praise Jesus--let's get out of here!" All the while she was shakily moving to get out of bed and nothing Calum was doing was going to prevent that. Her hold on his shoulder was like a vice and when she directed him to take her to the car, he couldn't help but comply while feeling like a hostage.

Mali drove, much to Calum's protest, and he hadn't a clue where they were going. It wasn't until they passed his house and continued up the street and onto a highway that Calum recognized the route although he couldn't place his finger on it.

A plane took off somewhere close by and Calum looked at his older sister in shock, the location finally dawning on him, "The airport?"

Calum wasn't stupid. But God, he could be a bit slow sometimes. Mali nearly rolled here eyes at him, "You mean Michael?"

Calum paused, not voluntarily, it hit him then what was happening--what he had done, Michael was about to board a plane that would take him back home and Calum hadn't even spared him a second glance before he dashed off to the hospital. After all they had done together, Calum could still be a jerk.

Mali urged him into motion with a playful shove, "Let him know how you feel, Dummy."

With that, Calum took off, weaving through the crowded front doors and past the bustling passengers that had probably gotten off a plane recently. He scoured the crowd for two freakishly tall boys, even though it didn't seem that hard, Calum couldn't place the colourful haired boy anywhere. He checked a few of the terminals, and the small coffee shop within the airport but ended up where he began. No Michael.

"Excuse me," Calum spoke up finally, gaining the attention of the lady at the service desk. She held up a finger and went back to talking on the phone. Calum blew out some air, trying to look for Michael in the sea of people surrounding him.

"How can I help you?"

"There's a flight to California?" Calum asked, not sure how to word the actual question he was thinking of.

"Oh, it's set to take off in," She paused, looking at her watch for three seconds. "Three minutes, the passengers have already boarded. I'm sorry but it's too late to get on, we can reschedule your flight? The next California bound plan leaves in twelve hours."

Calum was feeling a little numb suddenly, he missed it, he'd missed his chance. Michael was probably petrified, sitting in a plane seat all alone. If he recalled correctly, they hadn't gotten seats next to one another so Luke wouldn't even be there to comfort the poor lad. Calum felt horrible.

He missed Michael.