The Forest

Alex's P.O.V:

As I lower myself into the hot water in the tub, I am finally able to relax a bit. Although I still can't believe what is happening.

The big question is... Why me? Why was I stalked? Why was I in danger, according to Nick? Just... WHY.

My mind ventures to the day I witnessed, for the second time, a stalker. Seeing someone following me for the second time was even more terrifying than the first, even-though the sun was up. The thing was, I found out that day, that I really was a target of someone, not just a random victim.

That Friday was supposed to be a school day, but us twelfth graders decided it was not necessary to attend every school day. Sometimes, I even took Thursday off, having a 4-days-long holiday.

To me, it doesn't really matter, since it's much easier to study at home than go to a school where half of the lesson is wasted on the teacher trying to control the class.

Anyways, that doesn't matter anymore... Right now, I am dying to know why this is all happening to me, out of all people. What did I do to deserve this? Why was I stalked? Why was I almost kidnapped? What's the reason behind Nick's mysterious attitude? Why was he forcing me to runaway with him? Just... Why me?!

Ugh, millions of other questions attacked my thoughts, causing me a terrible headache. I rubbed my temples to ease the pain. Suddenly, I heard a knock, making me jump a couple of inches.

"What?" I asked annoyingly, 100% sure it was Nick.

"You've been nearly an hour in there... Are you okay?" He confirmed.

An hour? Wow. "Yeah, I'm fine," I answered.

After drying up my self and putting on the only extra clothes I brought with me, which consisted of a black hoodie and dark blue jeans, I headed out of the bathroom to find Nick was no longer there.

I sighed in relief. Now I can get ready without feeling awkward.

**********************************

We waved them goodbye after thanking them for their hospitality. Honestly, I would have loved to stay there for longer time, at least till my shoulder recovered fully. But oh well. I also didn't want to be a burden they have to carry.

After their house was out of view I noticed a hill ahead of us. Oh please don't tell me we have to climb it.

Wait...

Nick mentioned yesterday a hill at the end of the street... But how did he know it was there in the first place?

"Hey Nick...?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you come here before?"

He stopped dead in his tracks, which made me bump into him.

"Wha-"

"What makes you think that?" He said as he turned around to face me.

"Well, you said there was a hill here yesterday, but how did you know?"

He sighed, and his face seemed to relax a lot. Weird.

"Yeah, I came here with your brother and some friends before."

The name of my brother brought back hurtful memories that conquered my mind, causing my eyes to tear up. Nick seemed to notice this, so he gave me a reassuring, friendly hug.

After I calmed down we continued walking until yet another thought popped into my head.

"Hey... Remember the scientists that were with us on the train?"