16 |I Don't Need Your Pity|

I'm including a picture of Marilyn, only because she is going to be important okay? :) You'll see soon!

~~~~~~~
'Maybe your parents won't notice it' Adrian suggested positively. He looked at me uncertainly as I groaned and stopped pacing about the pavement to look at the phone in my hands.

I put my palm over the picture and measured that my face took up about half of my palm. 'No, they're definitely going to notice'

Ad hummed in thought, bobbing on his heels. He looked up at the bright yellow street lamp, working at his lip. I looked at my phone to check the time and my stomach plummeted.

Adrian looked at me then, his eyes suddenly bright, but by then my mind was already racing.

'Why didn't we think of this before! You can just-' Noting that his voice was high with excitement, I hurriedly cut him off, my voice pleading.

'It's already 9 Ad. My mom is going to kill me. I said I would be back by 8' I looked to the road to my right to see my bus whisk past me. Adrenaline rushed through me as I passed him back his phone and quickly jumped into running motion so I didn't miss my bus.

'Text me!' I yelled at Adrian as he watched me go with a mixed expression on his face. I got on the bus and looked back, seeing him nod. He took about 30 seconds to text.

Ad: Hurry and tell him to delete it

Ad: That way your parents won't see it

Ad: But that's only if they haven't been on Facebook

I gaped at the tiny screen, flabbergasted that I hadn't thought of that. I started to reply, but when I pressed send, my phone buzzed strangely and a notification appeared.  This message cannot be sent, it will be transferred to your outbox.

I tried again but groaned in defeat when the same message came up again. I was out of money on my card, which meant I could only wait until I got home to call Hugo by my house phone.

I jittered on my feet the whole bus ride home, running past the dark terrace houses to my familiar front door. After I fumbled with the keys and finally got the door open, I rushed to the house phone.  Grabbing the black sleek material, I frantically typed Hugo's number in, which I was cross referencing with my own phone. I held the house phone to my ear, listening to the dial tone when I heard my mother's authoritative voice.

'And where were you?' She asked haughtily. I whipped around to see her in her flowing night dress, her arms akimbo.

I took a sharp breath as I subtly pressed the hang up button of the phone and recalled what story I had given her. 'The school play ended late mummy, and you know the boys, they wasted a lot of time messing around' I put on a forced smile. I was unable to stop my eyes from darting around the room, to the classy chandelier above me, to the long unused fire place to my right.

'Which boys were there?' She asked carefully, narrowing her eyes at me. I focussed my attention to her face. 'Adrian, Yosef, Balram, Leo...' I said, trailing off.

'And Hugo?' She added in, her voice soft. Gulping, I nodded. 'He scored the winning goal' I smiled warmly but frowned when I felt my cheeks heating up and realised that wasn't part of the 'play'. 'I mean, in the play, he was a soccer player, and uh yeah'