Chap 17 - Cues

Knock knock.

I woke up to the sound of the door slowly creaking open. Honey skin, dark brown hair and the cutest floral camisole. I didn't need any introductions. I immediately knew who she was.

"Oh good, you're awake! We have dinner ready in the dining room." She readies to leave before she suddenly opens the door again. "I'm an idiot! I'm Rosabelle! It's so nice finally meeting you!"

Rosabelle walks over and goes in for a hug, and I attempt to give her one as I scooch my way off of the bed.

"I'm so sorry, I was supposed to wake up earlier." I glance at my phone to check the time. 7:34. "Man, that nap was not supposed to be three hours."

"Oh, don't worry about it. We told your boyfriend that we'll wake you up. We still had to cook dinner and you had a long flight."

"Boyfriend- no that's not my boyfriend. That's Terry, he's one of my close friends."

"Right," Rosabelle says with a smirk. The smirk sort of says I don't buy it, but she moves past that topic. "Come outside and eat with us. You don't have to get dressed or anything, we're all in our pajamas anyway."

In the dining room we find Flynn, Rosabelle's older brother, sitting at the table. He's already begun eating, his plate full of Thanksgiving sides.

"Hey! You were supposed to wait," Rosabelle lectures. Flynn shrugs and shoves another spoonful of mashed potatoes into his mouth. His eyes widen as he notices me trailing behind. Immediately, he gets up from his seat and makes his way over to hug me.

"What's up new sister?" he warmly greets. He pulls away after a while and notices the necklace. "Do you like it? I picked it out."

"I suggested the engraving. It was both of our ideas," Rosabelle chimes in. She rolls her eyes at Flynn and proceeds to grab herself a plate.

"It's really sweet. You guys didn't have to get it for me. I feel so bad I didn't bring anything for you guys."

"No need. You're the guest." Rosabelle seats herself next to Flynn and begins to eat. "Come on! You must be hungry."

I nod and grab a plate, filling it with portions of the food that they've made. It all looked good. Really good. Thanksgiving meals have always been my favorite. I took a heaping of mashed potatoes, because they're just that good.

"So, we know you're only here for the weekend since you gotta be back home for Thanksgiving this week," Rosabelle begins, "but we wanted to take you out to do as much as you want this week. Do you have anywhere in particular you want to go?"

"Maybe just the Statue of Liberty? And I want more pizza. Oh! Times Square."

"Your demands are not demanding. I like it," Flynn laughs. "We can do all that tomorrow. Is that really all?"

"Can we go to McGee's?"

"How I Met Your Mother has the worst ending in TV show history. And also, you guys can't even drink. What's the point?" Flynn sighs as he pulls apart his piece of turkey. "I really wish your brother could've came along. I was looking forward to bar hopping with him."

"Also, we know dad's the one who invited you out here, but he won't be hanging out with us tomorrow. He's got this whole thing with some project for work. Our mom wants to meet up for lunch though. She really wants to meet you," Rosabelle says. I feel a little disappointment at the fact that dad won't be joining in on one of only the two days that I'll be out here, but yet, not surprised.

"Sure, I'd love to meet your mom," I agree politely. It's not that I don't want to meet her, but more so I don't know how to feel about her; the woman dad left my mom for. Things like half-siblings or extended family are so weird. What are the social cues for dealing with them?

We chat for a while more before we split ways back to our rooms. I reach for my phone to call Terry back, but I hesitate. Would he understand? He has both parents, a happy family, and probably just has a teenage sister to worry about. Why would he have advice for someone like me?

As I run the idea through my mind, I receive a text. Coincidentally, it's him.

"how's your dinner going?"

"you were supposed to wake me up." Sent.

Terry is typing...

"I was going to. your sister told me not to."

"she also ended the call for you. I wanted to talk some more but you really needed the sleep."

"we could just call right now if you wanted." Sent.

"oh? something bothering you?"

I think about it. Can I come to someone else with this kind of problem?

"no, was just a suggestion. did you want to call?"

He types on and off for a bit.

"maybe tomorrow. I should finish this midterm project. let me know?"

"yeah. I'll text you tomorrow."

***
Hi there.

I really am sorry for being gone for so long.

Also, happy Fourth of July! (Somewhat)

Have a magical day (^^)///

-With Love, Kendall