Chap 7 - The Weight

I played the conversation over and over and over again in my head. I lied. I told him that we would still be this close as friends even if I wasn't his tutor. I knew that wasn't the truth.

Kenzie knocked on my door. I grumbled a "go away" at him, but he invited himself in anyway.

"You've been in here since you got home."

"It's almost as if it's my room."

"I did the laundry already. And helped Austin with his homework. And cooked dinner."

"I get it, I've been in bed for too long. I'm sorry you had to do all of that," I apologize. I burrow myself under my sheets. The weight of Kenzie's body brings the edge of my bed down. He strokes my hair from outside my sheets.

"You're our sister, not our mom," he says softly. His words cling strongly to my chest. When I hyper fixate on everything wrong at school, I get reminded of the world I come back to after it all.

Kenzie speaks as he continues to stroke my hair. "I don't think you let yourself off the hook. I don't think I tell you enough that you're the best little sister ever."

His words make me cringe, but are heartwarming nonetheless. Before I know it I'm drifting to sleep. A couple of minutes go by before his weight disappears.

"We'll save you some dinner," he quietly says to me. I hear my bedroom door gently shut close.