Chap 18 - Father's Daughter

2AM. I'm up, I can't sleep, and I'm hungry. I'm going into the kitchen for more of that pumpkin pie dessert.

I step off of the bed and it is extremely cold. The air conditioning in this building is amazing.

"Hey," someone whispered from behind as I opened the fridge. I jumped a bit in surprise.

"Oh, hey," I whispered back. It was Flynn. His hair was a mess and his pajamas were very dark red. His t-shirt had the symbol for pi on a plate. A very nerdy joke. Is it bad that I like it?

The tray had two more slices left. I already knew where this was going.

"So-"

"Do you want a slice?" I rudely interrupted. We were using indoor voices. Or, a bit quieter voices than our normal voices.

He laughed a bit and nodded, "Sure, I'll grab our forks."

We sat on the stools of the island across from each other and ate the leftover pie. It was very quiet. The view of the city was nice to look at, unlike back home, where the view was pitch black.

"Do you miss him sometimes?"

Not this stuff.

"Who?" I asked, as if I didn't already know.

"You know."

"No."

"Liar," he accused.

"I'm not," I defended.

"You miss your dad sometimes just like how we miss our dad sometimes."

"I really don't," I reply.

"Our parents divorced twice," Flynn tells. I stop eating and take a moment to look over at him. He's looking at me with an expression I could only describe as sympathetic, though that wouldn't come close to the describing how I feel right now as he shares this with me.

"What happened?"

"It didn't work. They tried to stay together, for us, because we were small and stupid and just wanted both parents, but it just didn't work."

I lower my eyes and go back to eating my pie. I wasn't sure if he was lecturing me or opening up to me, or both.

"I'm trying to find a way to meet you halfway."

"What does that mean?"

"It's not as smooth as it seems," he explains. "When we found out about you, Rosie hated dad. We knew what it felt like. For a long time she was convinced that we stole him. I don't know- I guess I'm trying to say that we'd understand if you hated us and if you wanted to go back home and forget about this weekend. We never wanted you to force yourself to come here."

"And why are you telling me this now? I thought we were having a good time earlier?"

"We were!" Flynn assures. "I think we were hyper fixated on giving you back what's yours. Dad said he wouldn't spend Thanksgiving out there, so we thought to invite you guys here. Then mom wanted to meet you and we realized how far gone our parents were."

"It's not your fault that he doesn't want us," I began. "Maybe I'm just in my edgy teen years or something, but dad has never been there for me. If he wanted to now, he would, but if his step kids have to intervene, then what's the point, you know?" I take another bite of pie before reaching the crust. It ironically tastes like my recipe, only slightly different.

"I'm sorry you feel that way."

"Don't be," I say with a small smile. "I've never had a sister, and I haven't been on vacation in a really long time. I already have those good things to take back with me."

"Nothing about me?"

"I've already got two brothers. You're not too bad though."

"Not too bad? I'll take it." We clear our plates as Flynn gathers them to wash.

"I can do my dish."

"Don't worry about it," he scoffs. "You're the guest."

I thank him and grab a glass of water for the night. I turn to him and ask before leaving, "By the way, who made the pie?"

Flynn laughs. "Dad did. It's the only thing he knows how to bake."
***

Short chapter sorry about that :P

I have uploaded this chapter very quickly but I'll be going back to editing so sorry about that too.

I must apologize for all the contents of this book. Well, almost all of it.

Okay no more rambling time to go.

-Sparta