Chap 12 - Us

Dedicated to APW1998 for being with the majority of my stories <3

***
Terry's POV.

"We've been best friends for eight years now. Eight. I should've been the first to know," I say to him. It comes off as a little aggressive but I'm sad more than anything. But I have the right to be, don't I?

"That's exactly why I couldn't just tell you. How do I toss out eight years? And for what? Some stupid school in Brooklyn?"

The mention of Brooklyn catches Jenning's attention. "Did you say Brooklyn?"

Keith nods. "It's where my mom is relocating for work."

I glance back and forth between the two. A wave of realization comes over me, and before I know it, I'm packing my things and running out of the library.

I hear Jennibg call for me but I don't stop. The more I thought about it the worse it got. When Kenzie caught me passing through their kitchen and asked me what I thought about Jenning, I was honest. I loved having her around. I didn't mind the car rides. And terrible to say, but I was glad I tripped her and almost broke her nose. Because if it weren't for that, there wouldn't be us.

Then when he asked me if she'd fit in in New York, it threw me for a loop. It wasn't hard to piece two and two together. And I was honest again. I told him she would; that her keep-to-herself attitude would carry her through harsh crowds. That a fresh start could help her, even if it meant she lets us go. Those were my honest thoughts, at the time.

Feelings change. It was one thing to lose one best friend. It was another to lose two. It was another another to lose both, and then to picture that they could be best friends on their own in a completely different state, without you.

"Terry- wait, hold on- wait."

I'm a stupid sucker and I stopped and turned around. We've been best friends for eight years. I guess jealousy is also a feeling there, amongst others. Jenning is also my best friend now, but she's the same to Keith. So that's fair, right?

"Why didn't you tell me first?" I blurt out, but instead of being angry it comes out sounding very, very hurt, which I am. Keith's expression softens.

"I was hoping that by some sort of miracle things would turn at the last minute," he says to me, which most people might not buy, but it sounds exactly like him. He's always been the optimist between the two of us. "I don't want to go as much as you don't want me to."

"But it's okay because you'll be with Jenning in New York. You guys can start fresh together."

Keith stares at me for a moment. "Jenning is moving? Are you telling me she's also leaving?"

I pause. I was under the assumption that Keith and Jenning were close enough to share these things.

The more I think about it, however, that wouldn't make sense. Keith hadn't even told her he was moving. But on the other hand, that speaks to how close he considers her, right?

"Hold on," I say. I take a deep breath, process this conversation, and sigh. "I'm not understanding. How close are you and Jenning, really?"

"Close enough. How close are you and Jenning, really?" Keith asks back. I shrug, "Close enough? She didn't even tell me. Kenzie did."

"Kenzie? As in Mackenzie? Her brother?"

At this point I'm dumbfounded. He's not even sure who I'm referring to, so how could he know she's being offered to move?

"You've met her family?" he asks. "Are you guys-"

"We're not," I cut off. "I drop her home, I was bound to meet them."

"I didn't even finish. But you've thought about it. You haven't brought up any other crushes in the last two months. You were head over heels for Cory not long ago."

The way Keith reads me ruffles my thoughts. Denial would make anything I say a lot less believable than I'd want to come off.

And sure, maybe I wasn't seeing things that way, but looking at it now, I've definitely been fawning over Jenning. Romantically or not is still in the air.

"Well now that you've brought it up, I'm going to be thinking about it every time I see her." A little smirk appears on his face, but I'm still not in the mood. "That's a conversation for another time. This is still about you."

"Jenning and I are close in a different way. She's like my best friend when I need immediate understanding. I don't know everything about her just yet," Keith explains. "That doesn't make you any less of my best friend. I'm sure it goes the same for you and her."

"I get it," I reply, "Ever since the Jenna thing the other day I figured that's how you guys were."

"I haven't talked to her about that," Keith groans. I side eye him for his lack of confrontation this week. It's like he pulls off one grand gesture per semester and calls it a year.

"We're okay," I say to him. "We'll get over it. I think she needs support more than anything."

Keith smiles. "Jenning makes us better. But we're still us." Suddenly, he pulls a folded piece of paper from his pocket. In a matter of seconds, he tears the paper, piece by piece, and tosses it in the nearest trash can.

"What was that?" I ask.

"My notes," he simply replies. "I was studying how I was going to apologize to you guys, but I don't need it anymore."
----------
AN:

I updated! By the time you guys see this idk when but its Jan 15, 2015 ATM and I forgot to greet you all a merry Christmas and happy new year! Anyhoo, I feel really bad it took this long just to update a chapter. This book has gotten so famous on my page and I can't thank you guys enough. I'll try to get the rest of the dedications done, okay? I love you all.

-Sparta @_&