Chap 4 - Nosy

"Guys this is Jenning. Jenning this is Evan and Mark, you've met them right?" Keith asked as he introduced me to them.

"Yeah, we have AP lit together." I give them a small smile and quickly shift my gaze somewhere else. I don't think I've ever spoken to them.

"Sorry that Keith dragged you here," Mark says. He takes a bite out of his cafeteria pizza and begins poking fun at Keith. "I'm surprised she tolerates how stupid you are."

Keith sighs. "I'm surprised she tolerates me at all."

"I hate to be nosy, haha get it? Uh, but seriously what happened to your nose?" Evan asks. "It looks pretty beat up."

"It's fine," I say giving him a smile. I find myself glancing at Terry instinctively, but the others catch it fast.

"Terry, what did you do?" Mark asks. Terry shrugs, a crunch escaping his mouth as he eats his salad.

"Well," he begins as he sets down his fork, "I almost killed her."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "That's, like, worse than an exaggeration."

"It is not," he argues back. "You got hurt pretty badly. And all I can do is give you rides, which you're too happy to settle for."

"So that's why you guys came in together this morning," Keith says, though it sounded like he was speaking to himself rather than us. Evan gives Terry a couple of pats on the back, but they seemed more like slaps than reassuring gestures.

"Oh?" Mark chimes in, "You were watching them?"

Keith fiddles with his fork. "I mean, yeah. Jenning always has her skateboard, so it was new. And plus you guys never talk in class."

"We never talk in class," Terry says to him. "But that doesn't mean we're not friends now does it?"

Keith scoffs. "That's because you'll be a chatterbox if we sat together. Jenning is a better lab partner by a landslide."

"I don't think-"

"Wow, some best friend you are," Terry says over my words. Him and Keith get into a fake argument for the rest of lunchtime. Before we know it, it's already time for next class.

Everyone gets up and readies to leave the table. I say my goodbyes but a merge of two voices say something to me in unison.

"See you after school?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!! Sorry if it was long and boring.

-Kendall