Chapter 1: The Secluded Garden

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se 

Nova

Can you recall a time when humans were the sole proprietors of this Earth? I can't. Although, I've been told many stories of how the vampires used to linger within the shadows of the old world. Stories, nothing but stories have been passed down from generation to generation with no one knowing the solid cause for the genocide of our species.

Most books that we have are journals, written by our ancestors.

What I do know, is what my parents have taught me. Run and hide. Don't get caught, or you'll be executed.

I ask, why?

There is no why, my parents would tell me, just that it is how the world is. Vampires are the superior race, taking and killing as they please. I listen to my parents, for the most part. Their words have kept me safe.

I am an only child. When I ask my parents why is there only one of me, they respond with the same answer each time, they don't want to bring another child into this vicious world. I don't understand how they would bring another child into this world, they won't tell me how.

I've only ever met another human family by chance, when they were passing through the forest we lived in. We live underground. My father calls it a bunker and the entrance is down an old hollowed out wooden tree stump. When my grandparents passed on to the next life, we were the only ones left. I know there have to be more humans out there, but if there are, they are just as well hidden as us.

I've heard of luxuries, but only through stories or journals. We have very simple things to get us by and we forage at least once a week for our food. I'm not very good with a bow and arrow like my father is, so he kills wild animals to get us meat. My mother and I on the other hand, venture out to collect greens and fruits from where we can.

There is a place, which I have found the most beautiful garden I have ever seen. I know I shouldn't go there, because it belongs to the vampire prince, but I feel a lot safer during the day. My parents say that vampires can't step out into the sunlight, so the day has been my guardian while I seek for rations. I do often wonder exactly how much is true, we really don't know a whole lot about the vampire race, just that they declared war and the human race is but a whisper to most living creatures.

"Nova, not too far and remember-."

I cut my mother off, turning around and smiling at her before waving, "I know, I know, be home before the sun sets. I promise!"

My long light brown hair whipped in the gentle breeze, turning away from my mother and dashing off into the forest. This was the only time I could feel free, just to be by myself. I loved my parents dearly, but they were always so overprotective of me., sheltering me from each and every danger that lurked around corners.

I was grinning ear to ear as I weaved through the trees, wearing my jeans, a dark green t-shirt, my whitish sneakers that were covered with mud, and my pink zip up hoodie. It was just so nice to be out from underground, it felt too cramped and crowded down there, not where humans were obviously meant to spend their lives.