Chapter 9: Peaches and Blood

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se 

Korbyn

The beaming smile that radiated from this brilliant light sitting at the edge of her seat directly across from me brought out a happiness within me. Her light brown hair was curled, half of it pinned up high at the back of her head as wisps of bangs brushed against her cheeks, her eyes roaming the freshly cut peaches on a citrine plate before her. She leaned her left arm against the kitchen table, holding in her right hand a peach slice, biting into it and closing her eyes as she savored the taste. Another smile crossed her lips as she let the fruit slid down her throat, blinking open her eyes and bashfully blushing at her own actions.

My little butterfly was quite special, vibrant and full of life. The simplest of things to me, fascinated her; the mere taste of peaches overwhelmed her senses, her eyes casting away from mine and locking onto the plate. I chuckled, taking hold of the goblet on the table and bring it to my lips, tilting my head back and letting the cool liquid quench my undying thirst.

Setting the goblet back down on the kitchen table, I shifted in my seat and stared at Nova, her eyes still averting mine, but I could see the hint of redness in her cheeks. It was utterly adorable. She was just so pure and innocent it was quite surprising to meet a being like her. She had picked out a knee length black skirt and a white t-shirt, wearing over top of that, her hoodie she had arrived with. It appeared to be her security blanket, and being in such a strange place, it didn't faze me in the slightest that she continued to nervously chew on the ends that came to her wrists.

"Nova?" I asked, noticing her body tense at my voice, her eyes slowly lifting from the very interesting plate and gazing at me, "Where do you come from? Where do you live?"

Her lips pulled into a tight line, her eyes shifting away once again as she whispered, "I-I...umm...why would you want to know that?"

I knew I said the wrong thing. She was probably wondering if I was going to track down her parents and kill them. That was not my intention at all. I just wanted to learn about how she grew up, how she lived.

I shook my head, "I'm sorry."

She blinked at me with curiosity, "Why are you sorry?"

"You don't trust me and I shouldn't have asked you something that could have been used against you," I nodded, thinking about what else I could ask her. I knew her trust would take time to build, but I truly didn't want any harm to befall her.

"Can I ask you?" Her eyes flashed with that naive curiosity. I was afraid it could lead her into trouble one of these days.

"Ask me what?" I arched one of my eyebrows.

"The same question. Where do you come from?" She watched me with such intensity.

I sighed, lifting my eyes away from her and staring at the ceiling, aimlessly encircling the goblet rim with my ring finger. That was a very good question. Where do I come from? A line of monsters who kill without question? Possibly...but she really didn't need to know the details of my family, let alone the vast majority of the vampire race.