Chapter 4: What's TV?

Sample Only

Published on Amazon as ebook or paperback.

Walking Among Vampires by K. A. Young.

If you don't have a Kindle and can't purchase the book off Amazon, you are more than welcome to join my Patreon page and receive downloadable PDFs under the Beta Tier.

Please click on the link on my bio.

https://www.patreon.com/SerenityR0se 

Korbyn

Nova was terrified, her beautiful steel gray eyes filled with tears, but the moment she reached out and her hand made contact with mine, her muscles eased. She relaxed as I wrapped my fingers around her hand, slowly bring her to her feet. She didn't appear to be a very young human, but she acted somewhat childish. That could be due to the fact there weren't many others of her kind to socialize with. I mean, I didn't even know how many she knew or lived with.

Her clothes also appeared to be very worn, probably not able to get any new ones easily. Though, she did look content and I wasn't sure how she was going to reach setting foot into my home.

Did you catch the butterfly?

Bronwyn, you need to behave. I haven't caught anything, she agreed of her own freewill to come with me.

Yup. You sure the darkening sky had absolutely nothing to do with her decision? Or that you swayed her?

Knock it off.

That maybe true, that my words had frightened her. More danger would befall her stepping foot out into this world during the nighttime than it would if she decided to leave the following morning. I'd never force this fragile creature to do anything, she was just too intriguing.

"This way," I gently motioned toward the back door to the mansion, letting her step in front of me. Her light brown hair was slowly falling free from the tie that held it on top of her head, strands breaking loose and swiping across her face. Cautiously walking toward the door, she took the time to notice one of the little rabbits that had separated with from its family hopping around panicked. She stopped altogether, and I almost collided with her back, but halted my movements, following her eyes. The rabbit darted from the safety of the garden, through two of the iron fence posts and into the forest.

"The bunny..." her voice was very quiet, but with my sensitive hearing, I picked up what she was saying.

"It shouldn't have wandered off at night," I replied, noting a hint of sadness in her sweet voice as she replied with an, "Oh..."

Nova nodded, returning her steady footsteps to the door and I resumed my pace behind her, watching her with fascination. She only stopped once more as she came to stop in front of the large door, her body shaking ever so slightly as she scanned the wood frame. Coming up behind her, I reached my arm around and to the side, taking hold of the cool handle and pushing the large door open. As the door opened, a small gasp came from her lips, staring in awe at the marble staircase as I gently pressed my hand against the small of her back and whispered, "Go on."

She flinched away, but settled down the moment she walked into the entry way, her eyes lifting to the ceiling. Nova turned in a circle slowly, taking in all the wondrous and exquisite items that littered my home. When she turned to her right, she stopped dead in her tracks, one of the mirrors in the entryway catching her eyes.

Nova turned to me as though asking me a silent question.

I nodded, not quite sure what she was asking, but captivated nonetheless. Taking a few steps and standing in front of the mirror, she slowly reached her arm out, her fingertips just barely brushing the glass. Her eyes widened and then narrowed, before finally furrowing her brows and stating, "So that's what I look like."