10. Kiss

After class dill ran over to me and started telling me all about her stickers.

"This is Elmo..." She said pointing to the red Sesame Street character on her sticker.

"That's great dill" I said.

"Dill, come meet my friend Colby"

Since Colby was still standing by me.

Dill looked up at him and shrunk back behind my legs, only peaking her head out slightly.

Colby knelt down to dills level, Delaney latched her hands on the side of my leg.

"Hi Delaney" He said softly.

Dill looked at me and I nodded, encouraging her to talk to him.

She hesitantly moved out from behind me but kept one little arm wrapped around my leg.

"Hi" She said shyly before quickly turning and lifting her arms up for me to hold her so I quickly picked her up.

Her face immediately was in the crook of my neck but I knew she still had one eye on Colby.

Colby waved at her and she giggled before lifting her hand and waving back at him.

He stuck his tongue out and she mimicked his action.

It went on for a while until she was sitting up in my arms doing his motions and giggling like crazy.

I looked over to see Claire finishing up paperwork so I decided it was a good time to talk to her.

"Dill do you wanna go play with Colby?" I asked.

She nodded before bending her body over my arm in an attempt to get down so I set her down and she ran over to Colby.

Colby grabbed her hand and took her over to a bench that was against the wall.

I looked at them once and then went over to Claire.

She looked up when I was standing in front of her.

Her eyes were suspicious but she gave me a small smile.

"Hello Braydon" She said before going back to looking at her paperwork.

"Claire..." I began.

She looked up probably because of how desperate my voice sounded.

"I'm so sorry"

She looked at me and then moved and grabbed my arm, dragging me towards a room, which I assumed was an office.

I looked back to make sure dill was okay.

She was fine, she was playing a who can scream louder game with Colby.

When we got into the room she closed the door and immediately started talking.

"Braydon, I know you want to apologize for what you said but you don't have to. I get it, you want to protect Delaney."

I opened my mouth wanting to say something but she cut me off.

"You seem to forget that I was kind of in the same spot as you! No I don't have my own child but by your age my mom had two five year olds and all she wanted to do was protect us and shield us from anything or anybody who could hurt us..."

I felt guilty.

"Braydon I know you're trying your best but sometimes it's good to let other people in and for Delaney to encounter new people no matter if they'll be in her life forever or just for a short amount of time..."