Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

I wanted to run, my brain screamed at my feet to run but it was as if my feet were glued to the ground. The charger picked up speed, and that’s when my fears were confirmed. It must be him but how did he get in? He shouldn’t have even been able to get in here! Finally he was only a few yards away when my body finally unfroze from the fear of seeing him. I turned and headed to the lodge door when Ted came out stopping me dead in my tracks.

His hands laid on my shoulders as his deep voice boomed. “I see our guest has arrived! Could you show him in Kaylyn?” he looked down at me with worry in his eyes.

“Are you ok? You look as white as a ghost.” I weakly nodded as I repeated the word guest in my head.

Maybe I was just freaking out over nothing maybe it wasn’t him. Plenty of other people had expensive black chargers with all sort of custom rims and what not on them. My stomach sank deeper and I swallowed hard. I stayed hopeful maybe it wasn’t him. Ted patted me on the back.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” I looked at him with what I hopped was a blank expression and not one of horror.

“Yah, just hungry.” He laughed as he smacked me on the shoulder.

“We’ll don’t you worry, once we get the Black Wolf’s son all settled in we will all sit down and enjoy a large breakfast.” My jaw dropped open as I looked at Ted and his big smile.

He bellowed as he walked towards the charger that was now parking. “I know! It was a shock for me as well, what a privilege to finally meet the son of one of our best supporters! We must treat him well.”

I felt as if I was going to throw up Fate must have felt my un-easiness as he hugged my body closer. The painful memories flooded back in the blink of an eye as I watched the one person I never thought I would see again step out of the car.

My heart ached and I could feel the shattered pieces breaking again, I felt a pressure on my chest from the pendant I never took off. I wrapped my hand around it squeezing it so hard my knuckles turned white. I was wishing it would numb my heart. I felt it pulse in my hand. This pendant did many strange things but I learned to stop questioning it.

Emett’s eyes fell on me and I shifted uncomfortably, I had to pretend I didn’t know him. No one knew about our past and I planned to keep it that way. I hoped…

Emett took a step towards me and I took a step back. I watched as Ted walked right up to him and embrace him in one of his bear hugs as his voice boomed.

“Welcome Emett! It is such a pleasure to have you here.” Emett kept his eyes on me as he spoke to Ted. He must have been just as shocked to see me here. The coward was probably never planning on seeing me again after the way he left.

“Thank you sir, it’s a pleasure to be here.” He sounded like such a gentleman but I knew better.

Ted took notice of his staring and he winked at Emett as he only half whispered. “She is pretty cute isn’t she? I’ll have her show you around.”

My face turned blood red weather it was from embarrassment or anger or both I couldn’t tell at this moment. He patted Emett on the back encouraging him to walk with him to the house.

 My heart pounded as he walked closer I didn’t want to feel this way towards him. I wanted to hate him but my heart longed for him to fix it. His green eyes locked with my brown ones, and for a second I let myself remember the good times. I quickly crushed them as I remembered the letter and the fact that he wasn’t there for me during one of the hardest days of my life. The empty expression on my face was quickly replaced with one of anger. And he looked nothing short of shocked at the coldness in my eyes.