Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

It’s week six of my training, my body has been beaten, bruised and cut multiple times. But it has paid off. I have learned many new skills of both my crystal shifters. I have now mastered rooting my forest nymph shifter  through the ground to attack an enemy severale yards away. Some attacks I have learned to combine between my two forms. I am feeling confident and strong. As long as I am busy I don’t think about Renee and Titus much. But they do cross my mind, when they do it’s difficult not to feel betrayed and hurt. Today I have been able to relax a little, Barbus is undoubtedly using this time to think of new ways to torture me. He says there is always a lesson to be learned but I think he just finds most of the things he does amusing.

“Hey” Emett sits next to me in the grass his hair has grown over his right eye now. I can’t say he still doesn’t look handsome but I hate that it hides his eyes.

“Hi” I smile at him and lay back in the soft green cushion of earth.

“What are you doing all the way out here?” Emett runs a hand through my hair and I close my eye relishing his touch.

“Hiding from Barbus before he makes me do anything to crazy on my day off.” I laugh, and feel him stop playing with my hair. I open my eyes and prop myself up on my elbows. I feel the cold moist dirt against my skin.

“Whats up?” I ask unable to hide the curiosity and fear in my voice.

“We better run then.” I see the playful smile on his face and breathe.

“Why?” I get to my feet with Emett’s help.

“I heard Barbus and Fate talking about taking you to get wyvern blood today.” Emett starts to walk in the opposite direction of Rosie’s house.

“No,... they said I could have today off.” I sounded like a little kid whining about going to school.

“Yeah I know so lets get out of here, there is a lake a few miles from here. I think it’s a good day for a swim.” Emett tugged on his shirt colar, I had to admit it was pretty toasty out today.

“Sounds like a plan!” I felt giddy, after the events of the last few weeks it felt like going to the lake was like taking a vacation.

“Kaylyn” We heard the faint yell of Barbus. We both looked at each other and screamed as we ran in the opposite direction.

Running was training enough for me today. Barbus and Fate had been working on trying to get my stamina up. It has sucked to train but worked, I was easily out running Emett now. I turn around to face him and spit something snarky out, but in the process I stumbled over my own feet and tumbled down the small hill. When I hit the bottom it’s all I can do to breathe as I laugh.

Emett stands over me with a big grin on his face “I’m sorry where you going to say something?” He poked me with a stick he had picked up, I quickly took it from him and threw it far off in the wooded forest. I smiled innocently.