Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18

The town was strange it was a wonderful mixture of old and modern architecture along with new and strange things I’ve never seen. We walked around the town on the stone roadway for a few hours looking at the strange shops full of herbs and strange trinkets.

We came to a shop called “The bear’s claws.” I thought it was one that we would pass on by but Fate stopped at the door and waited for Emett to open it.

He held the door open for me and I walked by without trying to make eye contact simply nodding my head as a thank you. I hated this feeling of awkwardness between us, not only that Emett’s glares have not gone unnoticed…

 The room had a thick smell of burning wood and the sound of metal crashing together filled the air. Renee and I looked around as Titus, Fate and Emett walked to the front. Renee and I talked about the armor that I now noticed filled the walls, and the weapon kept in glass cases. All the while my eyes rarely left Emett, the feeling to protect him had been building in me during the trip here. I was finding it harder and harder to be separated from him, it wasn’t making things easier for me as for as differentiating my love and duties.

“Kaylyn isn’t this amazing!” As soon as Renee spoke my name I saw Emett turn to look in our direction and I quickly broke my stare turning back to my sister.

I smiled and stared at the elegantly woven top with colors of turquoise and white. “That is really pretty.”

“What the hell are you doing here Fate?” I swung around to see a handsome yet angry man who looked like he would barley fit through the door frame, with his broad shoulders and arms as thick as tree trunks. A beard that was just starting to come in covered his handsome face and his voice boomed like thunder in the small shop.

Fate snarled at him and I was surprised by the hostility. My body tensed and I felt the urge to run by Emett’s side but I was confused.  I looked at Emett and Titus who were casually leaning against the closest wall like nothing was going on. I felt Renee move closer to me and knew I wasn’t the only one confused.

“Barbus you bastard how are you doing?” Fate’s voice came out more jokingly and I took a sigh of relief when the massive man laughed. Barbus leaned against the door frame and smiled.

“Pretty damn good the battles in the area are good for business. So old friend Who are these beautiful women?” He looked in our direction and winked Renee and I both giggle like little school girls who had just had the hot football captain notice them.

I could hear the amused mocking tone in Fate’s voice “Well the blond one believe it or not is with Titus.”

Barbus raised his eyebrows in surprise rubbing his chin as if he were in deep thought. “Now what kind of spell did you have to put on that beauty to make her yours Titus?” Renee blushed and laughed when he referred to her once more; Titus on the other hand rolled his eyes and let out a dry un-amused laugh.

Fate continued talking at looked at me with a smile in his eyes, “And this is Kaylyn she is…Emett’s guardian.”

Barbus pushed away from the doorway and walked towards me brushing back the dirty blond hair the draped over his right eye. The look he had on his face was seductive and as he got closer I found my gaze dropping to the floor feeling awkward.

“Emett you lucky bastard, how nice it must be to have a beauty as stunning at this for your guardian.” Barbus grabbed my hand and laid a soft kiss on the back. I felt the warmth of what I’m sure must be a blush on my cheeks, and I looked pass Barbus for a second to see a glare on Emett’s face.