Chapter 2: Reunion

Jonathan's POV
I groan in sheer delight as I stretch my stiff paws and legs, finally getting some proper rest for the first time in years. My body is sprawled against soft sheets... wait what? I sniff, catching a whiff of a familiar scent; cinnamon mixed with vanilla, and immediately pry my eyes open. Red sheets lay beneath me and I appear to be in a room, the same familiar scent engulfing me, and I get hints of bird? A sudden movement startles me and I roll my body, my head now resting on the other side of a pillow. An Asian with tousled raven hair and sharp features lays before me. He shifts again, right arm splaying out, and I see the large muscles move beneath his skin. The guy from yesterday who helped me.

Sunlight shines onto the covers at the end of the bed, and I'm tempted to bathe in it. That's until a warm, slender hand strokes my head, and I flinch, before realizing who it belongs to. I face soft, chocolate brown eyes and a smile forms on his lips, revealing a flash of white teeth.
"Hey little guy, you're looking much better today." He says, voice still raspy from sleep, yet it still has that soothing yet exciting affect on me.

I grunt in agreement and he laughs, which is music to my sensitive hearing, and I perk up.
"It's almost like you can understand me, although one of my friends might have a better chance at communicating with you." He states, and I remember smelling bird. He couldn't be a hybrid, right?

My stomach growls, interrupting my suspicions.
"Of course you would be hungry, how about some delicious food?" I snort and roll my raccoon eyes as if to say "duh". He simply giggles at my antics.
"Can you walk or do I need to carry you again?" I slowly raise myself from the bed, and pad to the edge before hopping down.
"I take it you can walk then, so follow me towards foooooood." He drawls out the "o" and I cackle a raccoon laugh. The man glances at me with amusement.
"You have some pretty entertaining reactions." He smirks, and I huff before walking ahead.
"Hey hey slow down you don't know where you're going yet."
_______________
After trudging down some stairs, we pass the living room before entering the kitchen. I follow close behind my guide.
"Hey Mini, do you know what raccoons eat?" I peer around to see who is being addressed.
"Pretty much anything and oh my god that is so cute!" Curly hair and glasses approache me and I stiffen, when he suddenly picks me up and starts scratching behind my ears. Without my consent, a content mewl escapes between my teeth.
"He needs to eat, so don't be distracting."
"Relax Vanoss, the little guy is enjoying it." So the Asian is Vanoss? And there's Mini too. These code names feel familiar.

"I hope raccoons eat pancakes then." Vanoss says as he walks to a cupboard, pulling out the pancake batter. Mini continues to hold me, and I settle in his arms, deciding it's best not to try and escape.

"What's cookin' in here?" A voice calls as I hear footsteps entering the room, and it's a voice that I know. Cartoonz!? The bearded man flops onto a chair by the kitchen's island, and I can barely contain my excitement. Wriggling desperately and hoping to be put back down, my eyes stay locked on Cartoonz.

"Woah bud, what's gotten into you?" Mini gasps as I continue my struggle.
"Hey Mini, you're a fox, why don't you just ask him in animal form." Cartoonz suggests while looking at me with a confused stare. So there are hybrids here, and the one holding me happens to be a fox. I guess it makes sense, these guys were probably part of the escape group.

After being placed down, I'm now face to face with a rusty coloured fox. How is a fox supposed to understand a raccoon? I glance back upwards at Cartoonz with longing.

"Damnit." I growl, and the fox beside me twitches in surprise.
"What's wrong?" He questions with a thick accent, due to being a whole other animal from me.
"You can understand me?" I question, and he simply nods his furry head, looking at me with curious green eyes.
"Then do me a favour and don't tell anybody about me. Just tell Cartoonz I said one word."
"Wait you know Cartoonz? And what do you want me to tell him?" Mini asks, confused about who I am.
"Just say Delirious. He will get it." Mini tilts his head to the side for a bit, then turns back into human.