Chapter One: It's Date

A new story connected to "Staying with the Hales." How exciting!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Derek sighed watching his mother bustle around the kitchen putting final touches on her dishes. His younger brother was besides him reading a thick book about chemistry. Derek scrunched up his nose and rested his head on one of the few empty counters. Laura was busy chatting it up on her phone with her current boyfriend of the month.

"It's missing!" Talia sighed frustration evident in her tone.

"What's missing?" Derek looked up at her his eyebrow raised.

"The corn." Talia took a deep breath, "I told Dustin to get it for me last night and he forgot."

That was common Dustin usually forgot something when he was on grocery duty. Whether it be a gallon of milk or Derek's favorite thin mint cookies. Derek shook his head with a soft frown on his face he knew how stressful Thanksgiving was for his mother.

"I'll go get some." Derek stood up from his spot.

"Can I go with him!?" Dmirti looked up from his book.

"Yeah, here." She handed Derek her credit card and Derek smiled even though he didn't want to drive around with Dmitri.

"C'mon, smarty pants." Derek patted Dmitri's head affectionately.

Dmitri scowled but followed closely behind the book still in his hands. Derek unlocked his Camero and Dmitri sat in the passenger side clutching his book while he buckled his seat belt. Derek sat down and started the car ready to drive out the lot.

"Your seat belt." Dmitri reminded him.

Derek sighed but put it on not in the mood to argue with his genius of a brother. Derek drove out of the lot and onto the highway, Dmitri started reading again. Derek looked at him from the corner of his eye before clearing his throat.

"So." Derek eased into his seat, "are you gonna tell me why you wanted to come?"

"I just wanted some peace and quiet." Dmitri shrugged not looking up from his book.

"Bull." Derek scoffed at his younger brother.

"Fine, Clara has been bugging me all day today and I was getting annoyed." Dmitri muttered and Derek nodded in understanding.

"Just don't get into trouble while you wait." Derek smiled and Dmitri rolled his eyes still reading his book.

The rest of the drive was silent besides the low hum of the radio. Derek pulled into the grocery store parking lot. He looked over at Dmitri who seemed content where he was.

"I'm gonna run in really quick." Derek took off his seatbelt, "stay in here."

"Okay." Dmitri hummed and Derek left the key in the ignition and got out of the car.

Derek walked into the almost empty grocery store that had a small smattering of people. He sighed and went towards the aisle that had the corn. He muttered words of disdain about Dustin under his breath ready to beat up his brother the next time he sees him. The aisle was almost empty. Almost. Standing there was Stiles Stilinski a long time classmate to Derek and a long time crush.

Derek sighed and browsed the aisle hoping that Stiles would just ignore him. He and Stiles had spoken to each other a couple of times especially after Scott turned but nothing ever really came out of their conversations. Which Derek hated cause he really did want to get closer to the other teen, but Derek was never that great with social interaction with people he fancied.

"Hey, Derek!" Stiles smiled and Derek smiled back.

"Hey." Derek turned so he was facing Stiles.

Stiles had on a plaid shirt and jeans like always and Derek suddenly felt over dressed. He was wearing dress pants and a button up, Stiles looked him up and down and then looked into his eyes almost embarrassed. Derek only smiled his cheeks a bit flushed he rocked on his heels before stuffing his hands in his pocket nervous.

"So why are you here, fancy pants?" Stiles chuckled.

"Corn." Derek shrugged reaching for the last can the same time Stiles did.

They gave each other a challenging look before a mischievous smile reached Stiles lips. Derek raised and eyebrow still not moving his hand. Stiles was gripping the can giving Derek an innocent smile.

"How about you get the last can if you go on a date with me." Stiles challenged.

"Wha-" Derek sputtered his entire demeanor changing.

Derek could feel his cheeks burn red while Stiles stared at him with nervous expectant eyes. Derek let out a nervous chuckle he honestly couldn't believe Stiles was asking him out. Derek could feel his heart thumping in his chest how could he give up a chance like the one he was getting right now.

"I mean unless you don't like guys." Stiles bit his lip a glint of uncertainty in his eyes.

"I-" Derek blinked, "why? Why do you want to date me?"

"Because I like you." Stiles sounded more nervous than he looked, "a lot."

"Okay." Derek nodded his cheeks tinting pink, "I'll go with you."

"Seriously?" Stiles let go of the can of corn.

"Yeah." Derek nodded smiling brightly at him.

"Great! So Friday?" Stiles beamed the words practically slipping out of his mouth.

"At seven?" Derek grabbed the can hesitantly.

"Perfect." Stiles was obviously holding back his excitement, "until then."

"Bye." Derek waved as Stiles walked off empty handed.

Derek bit back a wide smile not believing what just happened. He clutched the can before sighing and heading towards the check out. He paid for the can and walked out the store feeling like he was on cloud nine. He tried to hide the smile on his lips but he found it hard to do so. He got in the car not even gaining a response from his younger brother.

The drive back was silent and all Derek wanted to do was talk about how he just agreed to a date with his long time crush. He tapped his fingers against the steering wheel but never blurted out anything to his younger brother. He didn't know what to say. Was he gay? Bi? He probably wasn't seeing how he hasn't had interest in girls since he was born. He smiled content with himself. Maybe this was the start of something new.