Chapter Five: Magic Hour

Dude if I could like show this AU's timeline on like an actual grid I would.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stiles had to admit his rushed idea of a date wasn't that bad. In the store he had discovered something new about Derek;He had a sweet tooth. Stiles offered to pay but Derek had refused and instead paid for himself and Stiles. Stiles felt a bit bad for having Derek pay, but Derek had offered and wouldn't take no for an answer.

He drove down the highway the music blasting from his radio. Derek was nodding his head while Stiles sang off key with a wide smile. The highway was practically empty and the opening wasn't too far from where they were. Stiles tapped his steering wheel and Derek finally started singing along with Stiles his cheeks tinted pink.

Stiles had taken this moment to note Derek had a really nice singing voice. Stiles glanced at Derek who gave him a smile still singing. Stiles brought his attention back onto the road and made a left turn into a trail in the woods. Derek noted that this wasn't too far from his home. Stiles pulled into a spot that gave them a pretty view of the surrounding woods and the sun.

Derek gaped; how could he have not known about this place. He spent a majority of his time in the woods, usually drawing, sometimes jogging. Stiles shut off the car and opened his door. Derek raised an eyebrow at him unbuckling his seatbelt.

"Coming?" Stiles grabbed the bag and Derek nodded.

He exited the car and shut the door behind him. Stiles did the same and then hopped onto the hood of his jeep taking a seat his legs dangling. Derek did the same careful not to dent the car. Stiles placed the bag in between them and grabbed his candy bar from the bag.

"How'd you find this place?" Derek grabbed his bag of gummy bears and opened them.

"Stumbled upon it one day." Stiles shrugged, "Scott was missing and I was out searching for him."

"Was this when he first turned?" Derek bit into a red bear and Stiles nodded.

"Yeah, I had found him on the side of the highway after coming around here." Stiles hummed, "he was pissed but happy I found him."

"I would be too." Derek side glanced Stiles who snorted, "more happy though."

"Why is that?" Stiles looked over at Derek who was staring at him.

"Cause I'd get to spend more time with you." Derek scoffed as if it was obvious.

Stiles felt his cheeks warm and his heart skip a beat, "oh."

Derek suddenly felt embarrassed especially cause of the shift in Stiles's tone. Had he over stepped his boundaries? Derek felt his palms grow sweaty and he looked down at his lap not sure what to say. Stiles bit his lip and gathered up all his courage to speak again.

"Well, I feel the same way." Stiles was surprised that Derek was such a shy guy, "you're fun to be around."

Derek shook his head, "I think it's the other way around."

"Than you're wrong." Stiles nudged him.

Derek chuckled and was about to disagree when Stiles let out an excited gasp. Derek raised an eyebrow at the other teen who was now chewing on his snickers bar.

"It's the magic hour." Stiles pointed towards the sunset.

"Magic hour?" Derek repeated unsure.

"Yeah, it's the period shortly after a sunrise or before sunset during which daylight is redder and softer than when the Sun is higher in the sky." Stiles explained and Derek nodded, " isn't it beautiful."

Derek was watching Stiles with a fond look in his eyes, "yeah."

Derek turned away before Stiles noticed he was looking at him when he agreed. Stiles leaned back on his elbows and Derek noted that Stiles's shirt had risen with his movement. Derek watched as the sun went down trying his best not to look at Stiles.

"Why'd you say yes?" Stiles blurted out with wide eyes.

"Huh?" Derek stiffened and Stiles slouched in his spot.

"Why'd you say yes to date?" Stiles elaborated.

Derek shifted in his spot and finally looked toward Stiles, "This is going to sound stupid"

"Try me." Stiles urged him to go on.

"Well since the fifth grade I have had a crush on you." Derek shrugged, "pathetic I know."

"It's not pathetic." Stiles shook his head and Derek scoffed.

"It is."

"No, it's sweet." Stiles chuckled resting his hand on Derek's shoulder, "honestly I've felt the same since seventh grade."

Derek gave him a doubtful look, "really?"

"Yes and freshman year I was head over heels for you." Stiles chuckled, "I was just too shy to act upon it."

"Until now." Derek pointed out.

"Yeah." Stiles smiled at him causing a blush to form on his cheeks.

Derek looked away a small smile playing at his lips. The woods had grown dark with the moon now out. Stiles checked the time and sighed.

"I have to get home but how bout next time we go to a small diner?" Stiles slipped off the hood of the car and Derek raised his eyebrow.

"Next time?" Derek grinned and for the first time Stiles looked flustered.

"I m-mean." Stiles stuttered and Derek chuckled.

"I'm kidding, Stiles." Derek bit his lip standing in front of the other teen.

Stiles watched Derek carefully before stepping closer to him, "that's not funny."

"Admit it, it's a little funny." Derek noted how close they were.

"Okay, it was a little funny."Stiles murmured their noses practically touching.

"Y-yeah." Derek felt his entire body warm.

Stiles hesitantly brought his hands up to Derek's face drawing him closer, "Can I?"

Derek was absolutely speechless so all he did was nod. Stiles brought his lips to Derek's his eyes fluttering shut. Derek practically melted his knees growing weak. Derek clutched Stiles arms kissing back softly.

I must be dreaming. I have to be. I'm kissing Stiles Stilinski under the stars. Is this heaven?

I'm actually doing this, I'm kissing Derek Hale! Oh my god! We're kissing and it feels amazing. Jesus.

Stiles pulled away and they both stood silent for what felt like hours. Derek let his arms drop as did Stiles. Derek gave him a sheepish smile before going towards the passenger door and opening it. He grabbed his bags and slung them over his shoulder.

"I can take you home." Stiles suggested and Derek shook his head.

"It's better if I walk." Derek smiled, "but thanks."

"Yeah.." Stiles returned the smile and walked towards his side of the car.

"See you tomorrow." Derek started walking still smiling.

"Yeah, see ya." Stiles murmured feeling bad about Derek walking.

Derek followed a small trail that guided him towards his home. He could hear Stiles pull out of his spot and drive off back onto the highway. Derek felt like nothing could go wrong, after their date Derek knew that something great was in store for them.