Chapter Eight: Diner Date Number One

I just want to travel this summer tbh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Derek parked his Camero and waited until Stiles pulled up beside him. Derek shut off his car and got out a his eyebrows knit together like he was in deep thought. Stiles watched him with puffy eyes still debating whether or not he should get out of the jeep. With a soft sigh he shut off the engine and climbed out.

"Why are we here again?" Stiles spoke somberly and Derek felt his heart ache for the other male.

"Usually when I'm feeling down waffles and talking help." Derek gave him a shrug, "I thought maybe the same could apply to you."

Stiles gave him a small smile before turning to head into the small, almost empty diner. Derek followed closely behind him careful not to seem too eager. They stepped in the smell of burgers and fries filled the air. They made their way towards a corner both and Stiles slipped in before Derek.

They both quietly looked over their menus, Derek kept stealing worried glances at Stiles who kept his eyes down. The silence was almost unnerving and Derek had no idea how to start talking to Stiles without being too straight forward. Derek bit his lip and opened his mouth to speak.

But he didn't get a word out because a  waitress with slick brown hair and big brown eyes came their way. She had the perfect smile and a slender body. If either of the boys were straight they'd probably find her to be one of the most attractive girls they've seen in this town.

"I'm Sarah I'll be your server for today." She hummed her voice practically like honey.

"You're the only server here." Derek noted.

"I know." She grinned and Stiles shook his head a ghost of a smile playing at his lips, "Can i start you boys off with any drinks?"

"I'll have a chocolate shake." Derek looked over at Stiles who was still debating.

"I'll have the same." He decided and she nodded.

"Two chocolate shakes coming right up." She winked at them walking away.

They both looked at each other with raised eyebrows and Stiles let out a small burst of laughter. Derek was glad that Stiles's mood was going up. Derek shifted so that he was facing Stiles a bit better.

"So-" Derek started.

"If this is about earlier..." Stiles trailed off not knowing how to go on,"...I don't know why I was so upset."

"Hey, it happens to the best of us." Derek smiled and Stiles looked down again.

"It's just-" Stiles let out a frustrated huff and looked back up at Derek, "it-it's not fair."

"What's not fair?" Derek could see Stiles's cheeks turning red.

"Us." Stiles frowned, "this!"

"Us dating?" Derek felt his eyebrows scrunch as he debated what that meant.

"It's been bugging me sense last night, but yeah." Stiles shook his head, "how come being gay is so frowned upon in this town?"

"Small towns talk i guess." Derek could see where Stiles was coming from.

"My dad thinks there's no way in hell I'm gay." Stiles fidgeted in his seat, "he swears left and right that I'm going to marry Lydia one day."

"Martin?" Derek frowned.

"Yeah, it's ridiculous." The tips of Stiles's ears turned bright pink and Derek knew if he didn't calm down soon he'd make a scene.

Derek grabbed Stiles's hand gently and rubbed the back of Stiles's hand with his thumb, "hey, don't worry about that not yet at least."

"But-"

"Stiles, your dad is one of the most understanding guy that i have met in this town." Derek reassured him, "maybe he thinks your straight cause you haven't given him a reason to think otherwise."

"Yeah, i guess you're right." Stiles looked down at their intertwined hands on the table and smiled, "but still it's just i would like you to meet him with out worrying if he'll kick me out."

Neither of them had noticed Sarah walking towards them. She had caught Derek kissing Stiles's hand and Stiles giving him a grin. She felt her heart drop to her stomach both boys reminding her of her time in highschool. How she hid her sexuality from her parents. She wished she was as open as the boys back when she was their age, but it was too late now.

She gently placed the shakes down and noted how they both quickly pulled their hands away, "do you boys want anything to eat."

"I'll just have waffles." Stiles sent a grin Derek's way.

"I'll have a burger and fries." Derek had to force himself to look at Sarah.

"Coming right up, lovebirds." She grinned as both boys looked at the table embarrassed.

She walked off and Derek looked back up at Stiles who looked just as flustered as Derek felt. Stiles bit his lip and sighed.

"Maybe we should start dating in more discreet areas." Stiles suggested.

"Agreed." Derek nodded and they both chuckled.

Stiles looked out the window by there both the moon's light casting a shadow around their cars.

"So you cry when you're frustrated." Derek made a mental note of that not realizing he had said that out loud.

"And you eat waffles when you're sad." Derek looked at Stiles with wide eyes and was about to apologize when Stiles laughed, "it's okay."

"I didn't mean to-"

"I know." Stiles took his hand again, "but thank you for bringing me here."

Derek nodded content with how they were at that moment. Both comfortable with each other's silence. Both comfortable together.