Chapter Seven: What is Lacrosse Anyways?

This fic might be the shortest of the three.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Derek never understood why people played lacrosse or why it was the schools most talked about sport. Football was just as good and they had won just as many trophies. He never understood the fascination behind it, but still he agreed to go to one of the games. Mostly to watch Stiles but if someone were to ask him he would say Paige dragged him along.

He took a seat on the bleachers beside Paige who was chatting with a girl he recognized from his physics class. Derek sighed softly watching as the other team arrived from inside the locker room. Derek had to admit a couple of guys from that school were good looking, but to him none of them could match Stiles. Derek turned so that he was looking towards the Cyclones instead and he could spot Stiles laughing at something Isaac had said.

Derek had only known Isaac for about four months after Isaac was bitten by a rogue alpha and joined his pack. He liked Isaac no doubt and their friendship was definitely strong, but seeing him laugh with Stiles so easily made Derek just a tad bit jealous. Derek looked down at his hands and sighed. He just wanted to not be nervous around Stiles and that was nearly impossible when all he wanted to do was impress him. Derek huffed and slouched in his spot ready for the game to start already.

Stiles had drawn his attention away from Isaac while Isaac spoke to Scott. Stiles looked over at Derek catching his eyes and winked with a small grin on his face. Derek felt the back of his neck burn with a blush and butterflies erupt in his stomach. He smiled and gave a small wave before Stiles turned back to his conversation. Derek discreetly looked around to make sure no one had noticed their short interaction.

"So, I was thinking this weekend we go to a small get together at Angie's place..?" Paige finally ended her conversation with the girl.

"I don't know, Paige." Derek bit his bottom lip, "who's going to be there?"

"Some basketball guys, girls from our grade, and a little birdie told me that Stiles might make a guest appearance." Paige nudged his shoulder, "plus free drinks and decent music."

"Maybe." Derek looked away from her knowing she had won just by the mention of Stiles.

"Great!" She chimed, "pick me up at eight?"

"Yeah yeah." Derek grunted annoyed.

The referee blew his whistle gaining everyone's attention. Stiles sat on the bench while Scott and Isaac jogged towards the field. The other team seemed bigger, but the cyclones looked to be a bit faster. Derek didn't know much about lacrosse, but he knew in most sports speed was the key to winning. The referee blew his whistle again and the game started with a ball toss.

Scott was fierce and Isaac practically matched Scott's speed both becoming the automatic power duo of the game. Derek noted the chemistry between the two and could see how they pretty much synced up when it came to their actions. Stiles shifted in his spot and Derek could've sworn he spotted a frown on his crush's face. He brushed it off and went back to watching the game that was surprisingly way more aggressive than Derek thought.

Paige cheered beside him shouting some guys name he didn't know. He raised and eyebrow at her noticing a small tint of pink on her cheeks.

"What?" She glared suspiciously at him.

"It looks like I'm not the only one with a crush." Derek teased and she scowled.

"We're just good friends." She rolled her eyes dismissively.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." He chuckled.

"Shut up." She shoved him looking back at the game.

Derek only laughed before giving her a knowing smile. The game went on with the cyclones scoring three goals and the other team scoring two. Derek looked back over at Stiles who was still bench warming and he had to to admit Stiles looked pretty miserable. The referee's whistle blew calling out Scott for a penalty.

Groans filled the crowd as Scott was taken out of the game for the rest of first quarter. Coach Finstock frantically shouted for a sub and Stiles was put in. Something about Stiles still seemed off, Derek decided he'd question him about it later if he got the chance.

The game started up again and Derek now watched as Stiles ran through the field trying to catch up with the ball. Derek noted that Stiles still seemed distracted as he scooped up the ball and started sprinting towards the other team's net. The crowd erupted and some people even started chanting Stiles's name including Derek.

He shot the ball into the net and everyone cheered. Derek couldn't bite back the smile that was now on his face. Paige nudged his shoulder and he only rolled his eyes hoping he wasn't too cheesy. Stiles looked over the crowd and found Derek the both of them making eye contact. Derek gave him a thumbs up and Stiles smiled behind his helmet.

~*~

The game ended with the cyclones winning thirteen to three. Derek had to admit that lacrosse wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. He could also admit that he was absolutely right about Paige having a crush and something being wrong with Stiles.

In fact Derek could admit to seeing Stiles in his jeep with tears in his eyes. Derek knocked on Stiles's window the parking lot now empty of any fans. Derek could see Stiles sigh before rolling down his window and wiping away his tears.

"Is everything okay?" Derek questioned.

"Yeah, everything's fine." Stiles gave Derek a very unconvincing smile.

"If you want we can talk about it." Derek spoke with so much compassion that Stiles couldn't say no.

"Okay, but not here." Stiles sat up, "there's a diner not too far from here."

"Okay I'll meet you there." Derek nodded and Stiles gave him a small smile.

"See you there."