Chapter Twelve: I love You

Santa in the fall...what kind of fuckery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Derek wrapped his arms around his body the cool winter air causing him to shiver. Even as a wolf he got cold more so than the rest of his family. He slipped on a hat and started his journey through the woods the dead leaves crunching under his shoes. The sun was setting and the nocturnal animals started to appear. Derek smiled and made sure not to disturb the critters while making his way towards the small cabin owned by his family.

He looked down at the brightly wrapped gift that was about the size of both his hands and the two still steaming cups of hot chocolate he had gotten from Stiles's favorite bakery. Derek had wrapped the gift himself which was a first and he was fairly proud of it. The red wrapping paper shimmered under the suns glare and he smiled hoping Stiles liked what he got him. He made a couple of turns before finally arriving to the medium sized cabin.

The lights were lit and smoke came out of the small chimney connected to the roof. Derek felt his body warm as he entered the soft lit cabin where music filled the space making everything seem even cozier than before. He slipped off his coat and hat along with his shoes and shut the door locking it behind himself no longer concerned about the outside world.

He followed the music entering the living room where he spotted Stiles curled up in a ball surrounded by quilts that Talia had knitted a while back.  He hid the red wrapped gift behind his back and kept the hot chocolates that were in the coffee holder in sight. Stiles looked up and his eyes lit up with something Derek had never seen in someone's eyes it made him blush. Stiles pulled his knees to his chest and patted the seat next to him so Derek would sit.

"Merry Christmas Eve!" Stiles chirped as Derek took his seat.

"Merry Christmas Eve." Derek smiled and as he handed Stiles his cup of hot chocolate.

"Is this from-" Stiles started with an excited grin.

"Benny's?" Derek finished for him, "yes."

Stiles took a sip and hummed in satisfaction, "and are there-"

"Mini marshmallows that I know you love?" Derek interrupted once again, "of course."

"Der, you are the absolute best! Have I ever told you that?" Stiles took a gulp of his drink this time.

Derek acted as if he was thinking and Stiles slapped his shoulders playfully, "maybe once?"

"Once?" Stiles scoffed.

"Yeah, right now." Derek chuckled.

"You asshole get over here." Stiles patted the spot by him again.

Derek shrugged taking a seat and  wrapping the blanket around himself entering Stiles's space completely comfortable with the other boy. His gift was tucked neatly behind his back where he was sure Stiles could not see it. Stiles looked content with their situation his body slouched and relaxed, his hair natural, and a lazy grin rested on his lips daring Derek to pretty much kiss them.

"I've been waiting for this day since winter break began." Stiles scooted closer and Derek felt his neck warm.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow at his enthusiastic boyfriend.

"Of course, Der, I love spending time with you." Stiles sounded so genuinely happy and Derek felt his heart melt.

Derek agreed, "spending an hour with you is one of the many things I look forward to on a day to day basis."

"You're cute." Stiles cupped Derek's cheek, "that's why I love you."

Derek felt his heart skip a beat and his tongue go dry. This was it, this was the first I love you, after only a month of dating. Derek couldn't believe he wasn't the first one to say it. He always thought he would be, but now looking at Stiles he knew it was better that he wasn't because Stiles looked at him like he was the only person that mattered and he could say the same for Stiles with him. Stiles continued to smile, but Derek could see a little worry behind his eyes.

"I-I love you too." Derek grinned and Stiles let out a small sigh of relief, "I just didn't expect you to say it."

"Must be a Christmas Eve miracle." Stiles shrugged with a coy smirk.

"Har har." Sarcasm dripped from Derek's tone.

"You know you love me." Stiles winked and Derek rolled his eyes.

"Other way around, Sti." Derek teased.

Stiles laughed and reached for something on the side of the couch. Derek watched as Stiles pulled out a bright blue gift tied with a silver bow. Stiles handed it to him with a small smile. Derek decided to bring out his gift for Stiles also handing it to him feeling equally as nervous as Stiles looked.

"You first!" Stiles held onto his own gift watching Derek intently.

Derek nodded and started ripping away at the paper on the box and untying the ribbon around the box. He opened up the white box to reveal an entire art kit complete with water color paint, over twenty different types of brushes, soft pastels, four multi media sketch books, expensive looking color pencils, and a hand written note directly in the middle.

Derek looked up at Stiles speechless with wide eyes. Stiles's grin grew wider and Derek felt his face burn with a blush from excitement or embarrassment he wasn't sure. He didn't think anyone had notice his love for art especially Stiles, but how wrong he was.

"H-h-how did you-?" Derek stuttered.

"Derek, you have notebooks full of amazing drawing in your car, you have screenshots after screenshots of different artists work on your phone, and you have two art classes." Stiles smirked, "I thought maybe it was time somebody supported something you actually like."

Derek didn't know what to say so he did the next best thing, he pulled Stiles into a hug mumbling a soft thank you into his shoulder. Stiles waited for Derek to pull back and when he did he gave him a soft kiss on the lips glad that he liked the gift.

"Read the note when you get home." Stiles instructed and Derek nodded.

Now it was Derek's time to look nervous as Stiles started to open up his gift. The red wrapping paper fell to the ground and Stiles opened up his box letting a small gasp escape his lips. Inside the box was comic books galore all brand new, superhero shirts, and a hoodie that looked exactly like Derek's favorite hoodie.

Stiles pulled out the hoodie and instantly knew it was Derek's, "Der, I can't take this, this is your go to hoodie."

"That's why I want to give it to you." Derek smiled, "I want something that matters to me to go with the person that matters the most to me."

Stiles held it close to his chest before pulling out the other stuff in the box, "how did you know I was running low in my comic book stash?"

"Just like you knew I desperately needed an actual sketch book." Derek grinned.

They both put their gifts and hot chocolate aside and Stiles pulled Derek closer than he was before. Stiles laid back and Derek rested his head in the crook of Stiles's neck. Derek could smell the chocolate off of Stiles's breath and the warmth radiating off his body. Derek slowly  felt his eyes droop shut content to stay with his boyfriend for the rest of the day.

"I love you, Derek." Stiles murmured as his eyes shut.

"I love you too."