Chapter Six

Grey left sometime after five. I didn't want him to leave. I almost made him stay. But I knew Dad would be up soon and he'd check on me before he went to work. His goodbye was filled with lots of kisses and reluctant tight hugs, but he eventually got himself out the window and down the tree safely. “Violet,” he had said when he got a firm grip on the tree branch. I peeked out from the window. I knew what he was trying to say.

“Bye, Grey. I'll see you. Call me, okay?” When he left I crawled back into bed and immediately fell asleep. When my alarm clock blared two hours later I nearly cried. I'd have to take today off. My mom woke me up at nine in a fit of anger. To my surprise I was actually sick. My nose was stuffed, I had a fever, and I broke out into harsh coughs every few minutes.

Dad got someone to come over and fix the heat later that day, but even with the warm air circulating through the house and the extra blankets on top of me, I was freezing. I'd gotten a text from Ivy asking where I was at. Still mad at her for freaking out on my the other day, I put my phone back on the nightstand and eagerly awaited a call from Grey.

The words, “I care for you” rang in my ears all afternoon as I stayed under the covers, the sleeves of my sweatshirt balled around my hands that were closed into fists. I was so close telling him I loved him, but it seemed...wrong. Because I knew Grey and I knew he got into these moments when he needed to be loved and cared for and then in a few days he'd be back to his old self.

My thoughts were interrupted when my phone began to ring. I slid the unlock button as soon as I saw it was Grey. “Hello?” I answered, my throat raw. My voice was incredibly hoarse and I winced as I swallowed. Taking another day off of school tomorrow seemed necessary.

“You sound awful. Are you okay?” Grey asked. The background was silent. It meant he was at his apartment most likely, safe and sound. I couldn't help the butterflies fluttering in my stomach. He called.

Pulling the covers tighter around me, I situated myself to get comfortable before answering. “I'm sick from the damn heat not working last night.” Wish you were here, I thought. It was a lot to ask, which was why I didn't say it. I had to stop wanting so much from him when there was so little he could give.

There was a frown in his voice. “I'm sorry. Last night was amazing though, Vi. I've never felt like that before,” he admitted. I smiled. “So I guess since you're sick you can't come over.”

Sighing, I sat up, my body shook with aches. I popped two Tylenol before replying. “No, I guess not. To be honest, I can't really move right now.” I wiggled my toes around in my wool socks for warmth.

“I want to take you out,” Grey said. “Like, on a real date.” I grinned at his proposal and shook my head to myself.

Glancing out the window, I noticed there was a light snow on the ground. I wished we were walking around in it, throwing snow at each other and laughing as we made angels. “You know we can't. Everyone will know.” Every time Grey and I went out it was with his friends, people I didn't know. People who didn't know what happened. Except that one night a couple weeks ago when Grey convinced me to let him go. Surprisingly, no one questioned why we were there. I thought that maybe they forgot. And honestly, it hurt to think that everyone forgot about Rowan, when I couldn't keep my mind off of him.

There was a smirk in Grey's voice as he spoke. “We can always go to the town over, Vi.” I pursed my lips. It sounded like a good idea, and plus I'd be able to hold his hand in public and look at him like I loved him and not hated him.

“Okay. I'll call you when I feel better,” I replied. He agreed and then the line went dead. I could only hope things with Grey went this well for so long.