Chapter Eighteen

“Violet, I'm not going,” Grey protested when I pulled into the graveyard. I rolled my eyes.

“Nonsense, Grey. It's been two years, he deserves a visit.” I drove little way down the gravel roads while Grey crossed his arms and pouted in his seat.

I parked a few feet away from Rowan's grave. “I won't,” he said and looked straight ahead, working his jaw. I shrugged and unbuckled my seat belt.

“Well, I am,” I said, retrieving the roses we had bought a few minutes back. I carried the red beauties in my hands as I approached the headstone, only to notice that fresh white roses were placed before it. Mom and Dad had been here earlier. “Hi,” I whispered, setting down the flowers.

I crossed my legs and sighed, picking at the grass beside me. “I almost forgot,” I began. “But I'm here now. I'm sorry. I miss you. It doesn't even feel like two years. Then again it does. It feels like an eternity sometimes.” A smile began to form upon my lips. “We weren't like other kids. We actually got along. Ro, you were the best big brother in the whole world. I miss that.

“I remember playing games with you and Grey all of the time. We always had so much fun in everything we did. I also remember when I was fourteen and I uh, I got stood up by Ryan Hayes in the beginning of the year. When we got back to school on Monday you and Grey kicked his ass. You guys always looked out for me. You guys still are.

“I don't think you'd be happy that Grey and I were together but I don't think you'd be mad either. I think you'd understand. I think you do now. I know it's been rocky the past two years and we've done nothing but hurt each other but Ro, I love this guy. A lot. I know he's going to take better care of me for now on.” I wiped away a few tears just as the car door opened.

He appeared behind me, inhaling a sharp breath. “I'll say a few words if you leave me here alone,” he said slowly. I stood and walked over to the hood of my car and took a seat. I could still hear him slightly.

Grey moved down to his knees and placed his right hand on the top of the grave and ran his thumb over the words. “Hey,” he said. I chewed my lower lip. “It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm sorry I never visited you. I just couldn't do it, you know? It hurts too much. I'm also sorry that it was you and not me, but at least someone's here to watch out for Vi, right? I never meant to hurt her like I have in the past two years.

“But I promise from now on I'm going to take better care of her. I know I've made a lot of promises that I can't keep. But I'm determined to keep this one. I won't let her go ever again. It's happened too much. I love her, Rowan. I do.”

I smiled and looked at the back of his head as he pressed his forehead against the gravestone and said something I couldn't here before he stood and walked back over. “Did it feel good?” I asked him, taking his hands in mine.

“Better than I thought it would. Thank you for taking me, even though I really didn't want to come.” Grey and I had never settled the fight, but we both realized we were at fault and that there was nothing we could do about it. We loved each other and we had been through everything together. Grey and I deserved each other.

“Sadly I have to get back home,” I sighed, twisting our fingers together. We both walked around the car and started heading back to Katherine's. My phone rang on the way. My parents. I didn't answer but I knew I'd feel the wrath when I got back home. Two more weeks and I'd be free.

After dropping Grey off I returned home to find my mom actually cooking. Cooking on a day that significance to Rowan? Impossible. “Mom?” I asked, padding down the hallway.

Her back was turned to me as she fried something on the stove. “Where have you been? Your appointment at the hospital was hours ago.”

“I visited Rowan for a bit,” I replied, placing my keys on the counter. I decided to not tell her about seeing Grey. It wouldn't have made a difference anyway and for once she was in a good mood.