Chapter Eight

I get so excited every time I update...I love you all, thank you for pushing me to update this story. And I'm so happy it makes you all happy. 

Oh, and this isn't my best chapter. It feels insanely sloppy to me, but it's whatever. Enjoy!

 We took Grey's truck, which was kind of a piece of shit. The upholstery was torn in some spots, the foam of the seats poking out. The radio had stopped working maybe six months after Grey's dad had bought it for him. And it had tons of dents in it from when Grey walked in on his dad cheating on his mom with another woman, and he slammed his father against the side of it.

He was a nervous wreck. I could tell because he licked his lips every few seconds, he was jumpy, and his hand on my thigh was shaking. I placed my hand over top of his. “Grey, it'll be fine. I promise.”

When we arrived in front of his mom's house, he killed the engine and then sat back in the seat, examining the home he grew up in. It was big—bigger than ours. It was made of stone and champagne colored siding. The huge windows of the house were separated evenly and flower beds sat in on either sides of the front porch. I patted his hand. “Let's go.”

I practically dragged him out of the front seat and up to the front door. I rang the doorbell and heard a faint, “Coming!” from inside. Grey gulped. His mother answered the door and she was as beautiful as I remembered. She didn't look a day over forty, even though I was sure she was nearing fifty. Her dark brown hair, the same color as Grey's, was cut to her shoulders and curly. She was dressed as she always was, khakis and a sweater. Grey's mother was a typical soccer mom.

Her face twisted into astonishment as she cupped her hands around her mouth. Grey gave her a small smile. “Hi, mom,” he whispered, grabbing my hand and gripping it tightly.

Katherine stood there shocked for a few moments more and then removed her hands from her mouth which was now formed into a wide smile. “Michael, honey!” she gasped, throwing her arms around him. He hugged back, burying his face into her shoulder and mumbling something.

She then turned to me. “Oh, Violet! You look beautiful!” She hugged me and then invited us inside. We sat down at the kitchen table and low and behold there were chocolate chip cookies set in the center. We sat there, our hands wrapped around mugs full of milk.

“How are you?” Grey had asked when she finally sat down. I grabbed a cookie and silently watched them.

“I'm fine, Michael. But the question is, how are you? I haven't seen or heard from you in months,” she said sadly, adverting her gaze.

He reached out and grabbed her hand. “I know. I'm so sorry. But the one you should be thanking here is Violet...without her, I don't know if I'd be here right now.” He shot me a small smile.

Katherine looked at me and smiled also. “Thank you, honey. But the question is...why are you here? I mean, I thought your parents...” Even she knew that my parents despised him.

Gulping back a million answers, I thought of one. “I know, but...” I didn't know how to put it.

Grey removed his hand from his mother's and placed it on mine and smiled again. He looked so happy. “Mom, Violet and I are together. We have been for a while now,” he confessed. To be honest, it felt amazing to finally tell an adult. To finally tell someone that we knew and loved.

She jumped up and clapped her hands, shouting excitedly. “Oh my God! You're kidding! Come here, Vi, give me a hug!” I laughed and stood, leaning across the table to wrap my arms around her. When she sat back down, a wide smile stayed on her face. “This is the most amazing news. Do your parents know?”