Chapter Nineteen

I explained to Grey the reason why I left the house. He was stunned and a little terrified, but I told him that he had nothing to worry about. Even if she did press charges, I could drop them, so it didn't matter in the first place. Katherine was fine with me staying and she was overjoyed that we were back together. She said it was a long six weeks without me. I told her she had no idea.

That night we were lying in Grey's bed, our arms wrapped around each other under the covers. Our legs were tangled, our bodies pressed together. “I missed this,” I whispered into his neck.

He rolled over on his back, his arms wrapped around me tight so that I was lying on top of him. “I missed it more,” he said, smiling up at me.

I sighed. “Two more weeks. I'll get my shit and I'll never have to speak to them again,” I said hazily, feeling tired. I rested my chin on his chest. “I can't believe my mom would do something like this...or think about it.”

Grey moved hair from my face before he placed his hands behind his head. “Move out and stay here with me. Sounds perfect,” he said, smiling. “From this day on, Violet, it's you and me. No one else.”

I smiled back and rolled my head so that my ear was placed against his heart. Thump thump. I was so happy his heart was beating. I touched his arm. It beat a little faster, I still smiled. “This is all I've wanted,” I whispered, closing my eyes. “Us.”

I fell asleep that night listening to the rhythm of Grey's heartbeat and the feel of his hand smoothing down my hair.

Waking up in Grey's bed with the smell of breakfast cooking was pure bliss. Though he wasn't in the bed with me this morning, I felt happy to know I'd fall asleep next to him every night. I got out of bed and ran a hand through my insanely knotted hair and descended the steps. Katherine and Grey were talking in the kitchen over half full plates of eggs, bacon, and toast. “Hey, babe,” Grey greeted me, leaning back in his chair. I smiled as Katherine scrambled out of her seat.

“Oh, let me get you a plate, honey. Sit down,” she insisted, walking over to the stove. I took a seat beside Grey.

I thanked Katherine when she placed a hot plate in front of me. “So, is it alright if I stay here? Just until I get everything figured out?” I asked her.

She smiled. “Of course, Violet. You and Grey can stay here as long as you'd like.”

I felt a little guilty knowing I'd walked out on my parents like that, but when I was eighteen it was going to happen anyway. Looking at Katherine I realized that she just like a mother to me and I was so thankful to have her in my life. I'd have to thank her somehow. “Thank you,” I whispered, digging into my breakfast.

“I work late tonight so you all will have to find something for dinner,” Katherine said, sipping on her coffee. Grey winked at me and I giggled, shoving him. “Kids.”

He laughed and so did I. The weight of the world was off my shoulders. For now.

I called Ivy. “Hey, bitch,” she said when she answered the phone. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

“You're never going to believe what's been happening,” I replied.

“What's that?”

I explained to her the fight with Grey, how we got back together, my parents, and here I was. “It's all pretty crazy, you know? I never thought it'd end up like this.”

Ivy was silent for a moment. “That's insane. I never thought you'd have it in you to tell your mom off so bad,” she pointed out. After a while she asked, “Are you happy?”