Chapter Fourteen

“Grey?” I called, ascending the stairs. I had lost him just about an hour ago when I went to the bathroom. When I returned he was nowhere to be found. There was a mixture of people upstairs. Scooting past them all, I began to check all the rooms. He wasn't anywhere to be found.

Sighing, I went back downstairs and out into the backyard. I began to feel a little more tipsy as I was on my second beer. I'd been sipping them slowly, but I was so anxiety ridden I about chugged the whole thing. Then, I saw him.

He was standing in front of a girl. They looked like they were having a normal conversation, it seemed. No beers or other drinks were in his hands as they were stuffed in his pockets. That was when the girl smiled, laughed at something he had said with a charming grin, and kissed him. His eyes widened and he back away with surprise, his face as white as snow. “Nice,” I yelled from the deck.

“Violet,” he breathed. I turned around on my heel and walked back inside. I was chugging the rest of my beer when he appeared behind me, his arms cupping my shoulders as he spun me around. I stumbled and tossed the beer to my side.

I smirked. “What do you want, you two timing little bastard?”

“Violet, it's not what it looks like. I knew her in high school. We were just talking, I told her she'd looked good since I last saw her. I don't know, I guess she thought I was hitting on her? But it wasn't what it looked like, Vi. I swear,” he explained.

I wanted to throw my head back and laugh, but I resorted to a smile instead. “Go fuck yourself.”

It was all coming back to me. The girl and the kiss. Anger flooded through every pore of my body, but Grey's words echoed in my mind. Maybe he was right, maybe she was behind it all. But did it really resort to me drinking that much?

A pair of crutches sat up against the wall to my left. If I could just detach myself from these machines, I'd be able to go and find Grey. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a wheelchair in the corner, next to the door. Sighing, I pulled the sticky monitors off of my chest and gripped onto my IV pole with my left hand as I stood on one leg.

My head was pounding from the concussion and the hangover I supposed. I held onto the side of the bed with my other hand and limped across the small room. The wheelchair was just within reach but I couldn't hold onto the IV pole and the bed at the same time without putting pressure on my ankle. Gritting my teeth, I pushed off of the bed and stumbled onto the wall. I tried not to scream as pain hit me from every angle.

It took me a while to open up the wheelchair and to take the IV bag and set it on the back of the wheelchair but it eventually happened. I slowly opened the door. No one was around. Swiftly, but quietly, I wheeled out of the room. My arms ached as I pushed to each room, peeking through the window on the door as I perched up on my chair. I'd gotten to the end of the hall when I gave up hope on finding him. He was probably on another floor.

“Miss Violet, what are you doing?” Casey's voice rang behind me. Biting my lip, I turned my head to face her. Her arms were crossed, a mischievous smile on her face.

“I need to see him...”

Pursing her lips as she thought about it, she cocked her head to the side. “Your parents left a little while ago,” she said. I smiled.

As I'd predicted, Casey wheeled me up to the next floor. When she wheeled me up to his door, my breath caught in my throat, and my hands began to sweat. “I'm ready,” I whispered. She pushed open the door and there he lay.