chapter twelve

Evelyn's mouth hung wide open once she'd emerged from the water. That boy was Tom and that boy was a monster. After regaining her breath, Evelyn finally found the confidence to speak. "What was that?"

"Evelyn that was the boys future. That was what he will become without intervention." Dumbledore strolled back to his seat, tucking into a liquorice lace.

"Well, why haven't you done something yet then? If this really is the future, why haven't you reported it?" Evelyn found herself becoming defensive. "Why have you dragged me into something you could solve yourself?"

"A memory gained through unlawful time travel is not exactly the evidence that the Ministry of Magic would want. I cannot do anything to stop this, I cannot change the course of my own destiny, but you can. Your future is not set in stone and his doesn't have to be either." He stood up again, strolling over to the door of his office. "Now I do believe you should be in your dormitory, it's getting rather late."

"Yes, professor." She didn't bother trying to dispute what he was saying, that was a problem for another day. With a light yawn, Evelyn made her way out of his office and towards her dormitory. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she was out like a light.

Almost all of the fifth-year gathered in the courtyard the next day, ready for their trip to Hogsmeade. The crisp winters air nipped at Evelyn's nose as she made her way into the crowd. As Evelyn's eyes wandered across the crowd, she spotted Tom Riddle stood across from her, clutching his small black book to his chest.

"Anything, in particular, you're hoping to find in Hogsmeade Tom?" She locked onto the book in his hands, attempting to search for any markings.

As soon as Tom caught wind of Evelyn's wandering eyes, he tucked the book into his coat pocket. "Perhaps."

"Would you like any help finding it?" Evelyn gave him a smile.

"No." He replied simply, walking away to another part of the courtyard.

After a short journey, the students all arrived at Hogsmeade, disbanding as soon as they saw the familiar shops in the distance. As soon as Evelyn arrived, she followed Lily and Sara into Madame Puddifoots for a traditional hot chocolate.

Evelyn's nails tapped impatiently against the wooden table in Madame Puddifoots, the crockery moving slightly with every tap. The three girls sat in the corner of the shop as they always did, with three hot chocolates sat in front of them.

"What kind of dress do you want for the ball?" Lily asked as she began to drop sugar cubes into her drink.

"It has to be simple. Maybe something long and black?" She said, as more of a question than a suggestion.

"Whatever it is, you'll look great. Maybe the ball will be the perfect chance to find yourself a boyfriend." Sara smiled mischievously at her.

Evelyn smiled back, taking one last swig of her hot chocolate and getting up from her seat. "I'm just going to pop and get something else for the ball, I'll meet you at Gladrags Wizardwear in thirty minutes!" Before they could object, she scurried out into the snow.

It didn't take her long to spot Tom trudging through the snow, his book still firmly held in his hand. He walked like a robot, barely allowing his arms to move with each step he took. From where Evelyn was stood, she could see all the way down the main street in Hogsmeade, allowing her to watch Tom as he continued to walk down through the snow. He didn't walk for long until he came to a halt, directly outside the Hogs Head.

Tom didn't stay inside for long, clearly whatever he wanted was easy to find. When he eventually came out, he immediately made a beeline towards her. "Find what you were looking for Tom?"

"Indeed I did Evelyn. I'm glad you asked." As Evelyn looked at him, she could see that he had moved his book into the opposite pocket.

"Are you excited for the Christmas Ball?" She knew he wasn't before she asked the question but nevertheless, she wanted to talk to him.

"Not particularly Evelyn. Balls aren't exactly my scene, I'm not all too fond of dancing. However, since Professor Slughorn has made it compulsory, I will, unfortunately, be attending."

"Alone?" She asked hesitantly, regretting the question as soon as it left her lips.

"Actually now that you mention it, I was wondering if perhaps you would like to attend with me?" He stared at her blankly.

"Well that sounds like an excellent proposition but why would you wish to take me? You could have your pick of anyone?"

He took a few moments to think, leaving Evelyn almost certain he wouldn't answer. "It would be good for my image. Two academically able prefects attending together paints a marvellous picture."

Evelyn couldn't deny he made a good point. He was well-liked by many teachers, as was she, and attending together would likely benefit her impression on others. "I suppose it does."

"Meet me outside a few minutes before it starts." He turned away from her and left again, leaving before she could even acknowledge his request.

Sensing it had already been thirty minutes since she had left Lily and Sara in Madame Puddifoots, Evelyn glanced down at her watch before starting to walk along the street. As she walked, the snow began to fall harder on her face, swirls of white flashing across her furled of vision. Every step she took towards the shop left light footsteps in the snow until she spotted her friends in the window and her footsteps became heavy as she ran.

"It's absolutely awful out there!" She exclaimed, shaking the snow off of her coat. "I could barely see a thing!"

"Did you find what you wanted in the shops?" Lily asked from one of the seats opposite the changing room.

"No luck sadly." Evelyn found not telling the truth much easier than she had thought. Suddenly, a pile of dresses were pushed into her hand by Sara, who had been collecting them the second the entered the shop.

"Here, try these few on!" She smiled as she took a seat beside Lily. "We'll wait here for you."

With a light smile at the girls, Evelyn made her way into the dressing room and began changing. After she had slid on each dress, she made her way out, gave her friends a spin and quickly placed it in a reject pile. Everything was far too much like a bridal frock and Evelyn did not want to turn up looking like Tom Riddles bride. Evelyn spent far too long for her liking inside the shop, trying on countless frocks that made her feel hideous.

"We'll find something else. You have to have something that we can make work back at the castle." Lily smiled but all three girls knew that was an unlikely event. Evelyn had a plain wardrobe with only one formal dress that she had likely grown out of.

"Never mind. Something will have to work." Evelyn handed the dresses off to the shop assistant with a polite smile, taking her friends' hands and leading them out of the shop. Hand in hand, the girls made their way back to the castle through the snow, throwing themselves into their beds almost instantly boxed they arrived at their dorms.

Only once Evelyn got up to go to the bathroom did she spot a brown paper package beside her bed. On a small piece of stretched card, there was a note.

I can't take a girl to a dance without a dress.

Grasping hold of the string, she pulled it up, revealing a black dress folded inside it. Evelyn lifted out the dress, twisting it in her hands to inspect every inch of it. It was a long, silky dress with slit carefully position up the side. Turning it around, Evelyn saw the clear focal point of the dress; a golden snake slithering up the exposed back. Despite adoring the dress, Evelyn found herself feeling unsure about it. Tom Riddle wasn't the sort of person that gave out gifts, especially not to her.