chapter fifteen

Evelyn felt empowered, but she also felt terrified. She had just told the person she knew would become a monster, the exact answer she knew he didn't want to hear. Evelyn kept uneasy eye contact with Tom, almost hoping he would respond but instead there was silence. Evelyn pulled herself away, quickly exiting the Great Hall in an attempt to stay calm. As she walked, she felt the panic begin like a cluster of sparks in her abdomen. Tension grew in her limbs, her mind replaying what Dumbledore had shown her.

Evelyn couldn't turn back, she kept walking, navigating her way through the winding corridors. She wanted to stay strong, but the tears in her eyes were threatening to fall. Her whole body felt as though it was being torn in half, torn between what she should have chosen and what she did choose. An invisible hand was clasped over her mouth, her breaths becoming more and more shallow by the second. Evelyn felt her body slowly falling to the ground, her body falling into a foetal position in an attempt to self-soothe.

At the sound of footsteps, Evelyn glanced upwards, wiping the tears away from her eyes. "Stop crying." He called, looking down at her.

Evelyn thought she was calm, but her trembling lip and shaking hands said otherwise to any passers-by. She didn't want to face Tom, she didn't think she would be able to cope if she did, but it was too late, he was already there.

"I want you to know that my question earlier, was not so much a question Evelyn, but more of command; you will help me get what I want." Tom reached his hand out, pulling Evelyn up to his level.

Evelyn wiped her tears away once more, looking away in an attempt to calm herself. Her eyes traced the corridor walls, focusing on the details as she attempted to control her breathing. "You can't make me do anything." She tried to sound confident but every word was followed by a raspy breath.

"Evelyn." His hand grasped onto her arm, his fingers pressing deep into her wrist. "I can make you do all sorts; there are simply curses I could use that would make you my puppet."

Evelyn finally caught her breath. "Those sorts of curses are illegal, the Ministry would have your wand for that."

"You really think they'd ever find out Evelyn? I'm very good at dark magic and I'm even better at keeping secrets." He increased the pressure in his grip. "Nobody could stop me because nobody would ever find out."

"They would, I would tell them." But as soon as she said the words, Evelyn wasn't sure that she truly would.

"You wouldn't. I'm sure there would be some very serious consequences if you chose to defy me. In fact, I would reconsider your earlier answer." His words send chills down Evelyn's spine and before she had a chance to respond, he had gone. Once he was gone, Evelyn could barely think. It was as though he was a dementor and he had taken her soul when he left.

Evelyn knew she wouldn't be able to go back to the Great Hall so once she had regained control of her emotions, she made her way back to her common room. Immediately after she entered, she wiped away her makeup, wishing she was wiping away all traces of the night before. She slid out of her dress and into her nightdress, flinging herself onto her bed.

Evelyn knew that if she had any chance of beating Tom Riddle, she would have to be much more powerful than she currently was; she would have to learn magic she had never dreamed of. Evelyn leant over towards her drawer, pulling out a selection of books and assessing their titles. Anything she thought could keep her safe from Tom or could help her take him down, she read. Evelyn felt as though she was drowning in a world she didn't understand, losing sight of the surface as she delved deeper into the books. Soon she would be a master of magic that even Tom Riddle wouldn't expect.

After reading for hours, her body felt heavy with exhaustion and soon her eyelids fell shut as she slipped into an uneasy slumber.

Tom Riddle wandered through the castle with a menacing look plastered across his face. His wand was out and positioned ready to attack his next unsuspecting victim. His shoes were silent against the tiled floor, his movements slow and steady.

Evelyn had just awoken from a painful nightmare and had decided to take a stroll through the castle. Nobody was ever in the corridors this late so it gave her time to think as she felt the cool air against her bare legs.

She took her usual path through the castle, strolling around the common rooms yet ensuring she was close enough to the Ravenclaw Tower to quickly dart inside at the sign of a teacher. The corridors were dark, Evelyn having to squint to find her path through the castle. A few metres away, Tom Riddle turned the corner, coming face to face with Evelyn.

"Tom," She began with a quivering voice, "You have to understand. I had no other choice."

"Don't. Evelyn, you defied my trust, and you defied me." He snapped. "You made a big mistake Evelyn"

"No please." She pleaded as he aimed his wand at her.

"It has to be done," He said plainly.

"Avada Kedavra"

Evelyn awoke trembling. Her entire body coated in sweat and tears. It was just a nightmare: she tried to convince herself. It was no use because it wasn't just a nightmare, it could soon become her reality. It could become anyone's reality with Tom being allowed to roam the castle.

Evelyn had to stop him. There was no other way.

He wasn't going to stop ever.