chapter twenty-eight

As the sun began to rise, Evelyn pulled herself out of the comfort of her bed and rubbed her tired eyes. She had slept well yet the anxiety of school quickly made her feel nauseated and uncomfortable. She glanced at her alarm clock and jumped as she saw the time. It was late. She looked around her at her empty dormitory and sighed, her friends had left for breakfast which meant she had already missed it.

Evelyn knew she had damaged her friendships during her past year spent following Tom around like a puppy dog and she wished she could change the past she knew that she would just have to change the future. Her friends were her life. Sara and Lily had been her rock when her parents died; they had been her shoulder to cry on and had held her up when she fell down. She didn't know them like she used to, they'd all changed and so had she, they weren't first-years anymore.

Evelyn put on her robes and brushed her teeth in a state of grogginess. She was exhausted. She could barely think straight but she couldn't miss her first day of classes. She pulled herself together as best she could and put her wand inside her robe pocket, holding it tightly as she wove her way through the students piling up in the corridor. She didn't let go of her wand until she had taken her seat in Potions. Her wand made her feel safe. She felt so safe clutching her wand that she didn't even bat an eyelid when Tom came into Potions and took his seat beside her.

Professor Slughorn walked into the classroom with a peculiar grin on his face. "Welcome back to potions everybody," He smiled dimly, "Today we are going to completing a Polyjuice potion that I prepared for you all a few nights ago. Open your textbooks and begin brewing."

Evelyn quickly took out her copy of Advanced Potion-Making and flicked through it until she came across the recipe for brewing a Polyjuice Potion.

"You will all need to start with a phial of my potion and a cauldron. We will be starting from Part Two, Step Two." Slughorn informed everyone before taking a seat at his desk and beginning to watch the students for talent.

She poured a phial of Polyjuice potion into her copper cauldron and began brewing it. There were only two steps that she had to complete however Evelyn was renowned for overcomplicating simple situations. She carefully added her Lacewings and began to stir her potion, counting carefully with each motion. When she was satisfied with the colour of the Potion, she filled up the phial she had been given and cleared away her cauldron. Surprisingly the potion had been moderately easy however now she had to annotate her recipe and provide an analysis. Her eyes darted across her scroll as words began to flow from her quill.

"Evelyn, may I have a word with you?" Professor Slughorn requested politely, beckoning Evelyn towards his desk.

She stalked towards his desk, clutching the handle of her wand again. "What is it, Professor? Have I done something wrong?"

"No not at all Evelyn," He began with a warming smile, "In fact, it is quite the opposite. As you recall, I held several dinner parties last year and I am planning to continue them this year and would very much appreciate it if you came along!"

"Absolutely Professor! It would be an honour to attend!" Evelyn said, smiling in a manner she hoped would please her Professor.

"You'll see my owl very soon; I have invited many of the same students as last year."

At the end of the class, Evelyn collected her book, placed it under her arm and exited the classroom, turning down the corridor and making her up the stairs.

"Wait a minute!" Called a voice that by know she knew far too well, Tom Riddle.

"Again?" She stopped in her tracks, "People are going to think you fancy me or something, Tom,"

"I don't have time for feelings, especially not towards you." He spat, poison dripping from his every word. "Meet me tonight in the Forbidden Forest, we have something to do."

Evelyn knew better than to question Tom so she simply agreed and continued up the stairs. She turned down the corridor that led to the common room and increased her speed at the thought of a warm bed. When she entered the common room, her body fell limp across the navy couch and her eyelids quickly fluttered shut. The exhaustion had caught up with her and quickly took its toll on her body.

Her nap was cut short as the common room began to fill with students finished with their lessons for the day hustling and whispering as they walked towards their dorms. Evelyn sat up and looked at the grandfather clock that stood proudly beside the fireplace - It was almost time to meet Tom.

She put her textbook away in her room and left a note for Sara and Lily so they didn't worry before heading out of the common room door. She clutched her wand as she walked, following her usual route to the grounds. The grounds were illuminated with a special cold, pale light that only the brightest winter moon could provide, Evelyn's breath formed in front of her sending a chill down her spine. It was the kind of cold that told her winter was almost here. Gone were the days of careless summer and along came frosty nights.

She made her way to their usual meeting space in the forest and stood against a tree in the clearing, she was early. Although Tom was always much more strict with punctuality than Evelyn, it didn't cross her mind that he was late, she was too concerned with what daring task he would ask of her this time.

Footsteps rustled the frosty leaves, crunching each intricate layer with every step and Evelyn braced herself. She stood tall and proud and wiped every inch of panic off her face before she saw Tom yet the person who emerged from the shadows was not him. It was Astrea Black.

"Why are you here?" Evelyn asked precariously, "I thought that I was meeting Tom."

"You were, however, there was a change of plans. He set me a little task first. He wanted me to make sure you never breathed a word of this to anyone, of course, I said the only option was death but surprisingly he seemed rather hesitant to that idea. It seems he has some kind of attachment to you, rather a shame considering. He just needed me to make sure you knew exactly what would happen should you share any kind of information about him with anyone. Understand?"

Evelyn nodded, unsure of how to react. Her grip tightened on her wand as she inhaled a deep breath, shaking as she released.

Astrea poised her wand in her hand, tightening her grip as she muttered the word that had haunted Evelyn's dreams - Crucio.

Evelyn dropped to the floor, the frost melting as it touched her skin and her whole body convulsing with pain. It came in waves yet the pain was debilitating, Evelyn couldn't think or speak. Her mind was being tortured with every method possible. She was crying out in pain, screaming and writhing until one last wave finally drowned her.