chapter twenty

Evelyn awoke to the sound of screaming. A primal scream, with a raw intensity to it that told of the urgency. Without a second thought, Evelyn was out of bed and by the light switch, quickly switching it on an illuminating the dormitory. Lily and Sara both instinctively turned away from the light, their eyes shutting tighter as the light grew brighter.

"What's happening?" Lily asked, shooting up from her bed and running her fingers through her golden hair. Her beady eyes were now wide open, staring in shock at Evelyn and Sara who were both wide awake by this point.

Evelyn didn't know how to react. As she was about to speak, she was stopped by another piercing screech, shivers running down her spine as she realised what was likely happening: she was either hearing someone die, or hearing someone discover them. The uncomfortable silence in the common room was quickly broken by the jittery voice of Professor Ellesmere, Head of Ravenclaw house, "Everybody up now!" She called into the dormitory, quickly moving on to the next dormitory and repeating the message.

Quickly, the girls stepped out the dormitory, in nothing but their nightdresses, and followed the crowd of panicked students out into the dormitory. "All students head directly to the Great Hall." Students stood in awe, unsure of how to respond to their Head of House in such a state. "Immediately." Her face flushed red as she directed students towards the open door.

Nobody spoke a word as they hurried towards the Great Hall, not even Lily who always had something to say. By the time they arrived, the majority of the school had piled into the room, standing with their bodies almost touching as they watched Headmaster Dippet at the front of the hall. "What's going on?" Lily questioned.

"It had better be good, I was having the best dream," Sara said, Lily, responding with a nervous laugh and Evelyn remaining quiet. She couldn't speak; she was frozen.

Every teacher was positioned at the Grand Table, staring into space with broken spirits. They seemed frozen in time, barely moving except the occasional glance to their side to reassure those around them. Nobody spoke a word until the last house finally arrived, strutting in with frowns painted on all their faces except Toms. His eyes seemed to shine a little brighter and his expressionless face seemed more emotive than ever, holding a sinister grin on in that quickly vanished once he saw the panel of teachers in the Hall.

Once everyone was quiet, Headmaster Dippet rose and began to speak. "Students, I'm afraid there has been a very serious incident and although this news may shock and upset you, it is my duty to make you aware. This morning, a student has been found in the second-floor bathroom. That student was Myrtle Warren, and she is dead."

Evelyn couldn't help but let out a cry of grief, placing her hand on her mouth to muffle it. Evelyn felt as though she was drowning in the sea of terrified students, slowly losing herself below the surface as she felt her lungs begin to fill with water.

"Unfortunately, the school cannot remain open with the tragic recent affairs. You will all be returning home tomorrow," He said with a grave expression.

Quickly, the students grew uneasy, a mixture of terrified and disappointed comments erupting through the Great Hall and spreading like wildfire. Evelyn felt her heart sinking in her chest- a student was dead and she could have stopped it. She knew there would likely be more to follow if she didn't stop him, Tom was ruthless.

"Students please return to your common rooms and prepare to go home," Headmaster Dippet said with a sigh, turning his head to the other Professors, and then exiting the hall alongside Professor Dumbledore.

As the Hall began to empty, Evelyn scanned around it for Tom, eventually finding him by the exit, following closely behind Professor Dumbledore. Evelyn scurried out of the Hall behind him, parting the sea of students forcefully with her hands in an attempt to catch up with him. By the time she was outside of the Hall, she spotted Tom stood by Professor Dumbledore, quickly she slid behind a pillar in an attempt to conceal herself.