chapter twenty-seven

When it was time to return to Hogwarts, Evelyn found herself becoming more and more uncertain. She hadn't been in contact with her friends for the past six weeks and she hadn't spoken to Tom since Little Hangleton. On her journey to Hogwarts, she purchased a copy of the Daily Prophet and when she clutched it in her hands, she had to do a double-take to read the headline without gasping.

Murder In Little Hangleton - Riddle Family Found Dead

The Riddle family were found dead last night in their manor. Thomas Riddle Sr, his wife and son were all found by authorities in a perplexed state. A cause of death has not yet been identified however Frank Bryce has been named the main suspect in the case and has been taken into custody. (More on page 5....)

Although Evelyn knew it had happened, she hadn't expected everybody else to now be aware of the events that unfolded over the holidays. With a deep sigh, she folded the paper and placed it on the floor beside her other belongings. The carriage was empty aside from Evelyn so she could do anything she wanted. However, the only thing Evelyn really wanted to do was sleep. She wanted the weight of her eyelids to finally glue them shut. She wanted her eyes to stay closed for more than ten minutes at a time. She wanted just a few hours of calm.

She leant her head against the carriage window, watching the green hills speed past her. As Evelyn looked out the window, she wondered what would've happened to her if she had just ignored Tom Riddle. Her life would be entirely different from how it was now. She wouldn't have spent the summer gallivanting around Little Hangleton, following Tom and his every move. She wouldn't have wasted hours of time researching useless details about his heritage. She wouldn't have countless sleepless nights. She wouldn't have experienced some of the worst moments of her life.

However, if Evelyn wasn't willing to continue the task that Dumbledore set her, Tom Riddle would spiral further and further down a dark path, never to see the light again. If Evelyn hadn't risked her life for Tom Riddle, she would most likely lose everyone around her; and although she knew she was far from finished with her task, she felt a sense of accomplishment. Although Tom was still spiralling, Evelyn was controlling the spiral, she was watching his every move.

She watched the rolling hills pass her by, waving goodbye to every last inch of doubt that lived inside of her. Instead, she welcomed a strange newfound sense of confidence and radiated it.

As the train pulled up outside of Hogwarts, Evelyn stepped out of her carriage with confidence. She kept her head held high as she strolled down the platform and as soon as she saw the Great Hall, she felt warmth beginning to bubble inside of her. She walked into the Hall, her eyes scanning the sea of students for the familiar faces of her friends. She knew she had to make amends, or at least try to. Evelyn couldn't do this alone.

"Lily, Sara," She began, stopping in front of them with a smile on her face. "I need to apologise." She quickly added, hoping they wouldn't walk away.

"You certainly do," Lily said, her eyes darting between Evelyn and Sara. "I don't even want to begin to describe how worried we've been about you. Before summer you were acting crazy and you better have it under control."

"I have made mistakes. Last year, I wasn't myself at all, my mind was consumed by other things and I had no time for my friends. I wasted all of last year gallivanting after Tom and ruining the perfect friendship we already had, just the three of us. I was shifty, keeping secrets from the two people I trust the most, I was a monster. I can't promise I'll change instantly, l still have to keep some secrets for everyone's safety and there are still some things I have to do, but I promise I will try my hardest to keep you involved and spend time with you." Evelyn spoke with confidence, looking up at her two friends with an apologetic smile.

"I think we know exactly why you were so strange last year. It's all to do with a certain boy and some certain feelings you are undeniably having for him." Sara finally spoke.

"You 100% fancy Tom Riddle." Lily smiled gleefully, "I have to admit, I have no idea what you see in him, other than his beautiful exterior, but we don't hate you for it at all. We haven't told anybody about it though; your secret is safe with us."

Evelyn couldn't deny there were feelings there, and they had definitely grown stronger over the past months, but she was still unsure of what her feelings even were. All she knew is that they were strong, they dictated her every decision and consumed her.

Evelyn held her arms out for a hug, embracing her two best friends and pulling them close to her. As the three-parted, they grinned simultaneously and when Lily held her hand out, Evelyn didn't hesitate to grasp it with all her might. The three girls giggled as they found seats at the Ravenclaw tables and began to gossip loudly, a tradition which they certainly enjoyed. As the girls spoke, Evelyn realised how much she had missed out on, so much had changed in the past year that Evelyn hadn't even noticed was happening at the time. Lily had changed her hair and now wore a crimson shade on her plump lips and Sara wore thinly framed circular glasses, whilst Evelyn had been focusing on the bigger picture she had completely forgotten to zoom in and admire the details.

Her train of thought stopped abruptly as a loud-voice echoed across the great hall. "Settle down now students," Began Headmaster Dippet with a broad smile. "Now, although last year we may have had some difficulties, Hogwarts is proud to still be open thanks to one student in particular: Tom Riddle" He began a round of applause as Tom rose to his feet and gave a forced smile to the teachers and students, as the noise began to fade out, Tom retook his seat and felt his eyes glancing towards Evelyn table.

Headmaster Dippet continued with his welcoming speech, the hall remaining silent until piles of food appeared on the four tables running down the hall. Evelyn licked her lips as she grabbed a spoonful of roast potatoes and placed them on her plate alongside some greens and chicken. She was overwhelmed for the choice of different aromas, tastes, and textures but eventually settled on a full plate of steaming food that met all of her needs. With every bite, a new burst of flavour exploded in her mouth and she ate until she could fit no more in. As the feast came to an end, students began leaving the hall and heading towards their dormitories.

Evelyn rose from her seat and waved goodbye to her friends, heading out of the Great Hall and making her way towards the Ravenclaw common room. "Evelyn," She paused in her tracks at the sound of her name being called and turned instantly to see Tom Riddle stood behind her.

"What do you want Tom? I'm tired." She asked, sighing dramatically.

"I was just here to welcome you back to Hogwarts; I heard things would be different this year."

"I certainly hope they are." She smiled, turning hot on her heel and entering her common room. She headed straight for her dormitory and immediately sunk into her warm bed, wrapping the blankets around herself and closing her eyes. She tried to avert her focus from Tom Riddle and as she felt him leaving her thoughts; her mind dragged her into the oblivion of sleep.