chapter nineteen

Evelyn knew that there was nobody she could ask about the night before. Even thinking about it made her feel sick, her whole body paralysed with fear as she imagined the state of her dorm only a few hours earlier. She had barely had time to think about anything other than what she had done last night but one thing she knew was that she needed a plan. Evelyn needed the sort of plan that even someone as brilliant as Tom wouldn't be able to decipher, the kind of plan that was impossible.

By late February, her plan was no closer to completion. She felt as though she hadn't made any progress: nobody in the Knight's of Walpurgis liked her any more than they ever had before, in fact, Astrea seemed to dislike her more than ever before after her acceptance into their group. Despite now being physically closer to Tom more, she felt even more emotionally disconnected than usual, she felt as though he almost spoke to her less. Although Tom was still evidently distrusting of Evelyn, he was clearly the most believing of her conversion to his team.

One night, past curfew, Evelyn felt curiosity brewing inside of her, bubbling over as though it was an itch that wouldn't go away without scratching. Evelyn had no idea where she was going but once her feet hit the ground, they were the ones in control. She trusted her body, wherever she was going was safe enough for her body to take her there. Evelyn kept walking until she was back inside the second-floor girl's toilets and her heart began to race, her mind flashing back to the events that unfolded the last time she entered this bathroom.

Once she entered, she saw exactly what she had the last time she had met with the Knight's of Walpurgis: Tom Riddle stood in front of his fellow students. "Wonderful that you finally chose to join us, Evelyn." He began with his silky voice, earning a few groans from Astrea Black, who was clearly not content with Evelyn's presence at the meeting. "Silence Astrea."

Evelyn positioned herself alongside Theodore Nott, mimicking his posture and facial expression in an attempt to fit in. She didn't have to wait long before Tom spoke again, this time began circling her.

"Tonight is the night. Tonight is the night that the blood traitors will perish and feel my wrath. You each have been given your job– I expect you all to succeed."

"We will." Astrea, Theodore and Abraxas replied in perfect synchronisation, suddenly dispersing out of the bathroom and vanishing from Evelyn's sight.

"Evelyn. I'd like to show you something." He whispered as he passed her, taking her hands and moving her into position. Evelyn opened her mouth, ready to speak, only to be stopped by Tom's finger pressing against her lips. "Don't speak. Close your eyes."

At that moment, she trusted him. Closing her eyes was the easiest thing she had ever had to do for him and she knew not seeing was better than seeing whatever was about to happen. A familiar rumbling sound erupted from in front of her, closely followed by a quiet hissing. "Don't panic Evelyn. Don't make a sound." His hand touched her back, sending shivers up her spine, the hairs on her arms suddenly standing up.

Evelyn could feel his body against hers, his arms wrapping themselves around her body as though acting as a shield from what she knew was to come. As she felt the basilisk coming closer towards her, her legs began to shake, her whole body beginning to vibrate as the panic began to rise inside of her. Evelyn felt Tom's arms tightening their grip on her body, calming her down as she felt the pressure of his grip against her.

"She's nothing to be afraid of, keep your eyes closed. I just want you to know that if you ever even think about to double-crossing me, she will protect me. She wants blood, and she won't hesitate to take yours, Evelyn." He muttered a phrase that Evelyn didn't understand and suddenly, the basilisk was gone. "You can open your eyes now Evelyn. She's gone, for now, you should go too." He released his arms from around her as she opened her eyes.

As soon as Evelyn opened her eyes, the anxiety was gone. "Goodbye Tom." She hurried back to her dormitory, sneaking into her bed as quietly as possible in order to not wake Lily and Evelyn. The night passed slowly, and with every noise, Evelyn's anxiety began growing, slowly taking over her body, every inch of her was frozen with fear and terror. She knew what was travelling around the school, she knew what was travelling through the pipes, ready to strike at any muggle-born student she found. When Evelyn woke up, she knew that there would be fewer students at Hogwarts, she knew that Tom wouldn't let his basilisk be unsuccessful.

Evelyn watched as the wall clock ticked like the timer on a bomb, unable to be reversed, stopped, or slowed down. Every minute that went by was sixty seconds of agony where all Evelyn could do was wait. She knew that there was nothing left for her to do, no spell she could cast that would reverse the past few months from her life. Soon, people would be dead.

Evelyn felt the panic begin like a cluster of spark plugs in her abdomen. At first, she thought she'd be able to control it but as it grew, she realised she had to submit. With each raspy breath, it felt as though she was drowning, a colossal wave toppling over her and pushing her below the surface, the sand choking her, tears streaming down her face; there was no escape. Her head was pounding, every cell in her body screaming for oxygen, it seemed almost impossible to fight but she fought until she felt as though she was about to explode. She fought it until she doubled over, clutching her stomach in pain, until she could no longer cry any more tears, and until everything went black.