chapter twenty-one

"Good morning students." Began Headmaster Dippet, "I have gathered you here this morning to alert you all that Hogwarts shall not be closing." Loud whispers from excited students broke out, quickly rising in volume only to be hushed down by Dippet. "The beast that attacked Myrtle Warren has been found and its owner has been prosecuted."

"I guess they found whatever it was yesterday then," Sara said, eyeing up Lily.

"Yeah." She faded out, tucking her hair behind her ears. Lily was disappointed by last nights events, shortly after Evelyn had fled, the other two girls had followed suit.

Evelyn turned away her focus from Dippet and glanced over at Tom, who sat smugly at the Slytherin table. His eyes met hers for a moment before he harshly looked away and continued muttering to Abraxas Malfoy.

"I firmly believe that Hogwarts is now safe, you can all sleep at peace thanks to one student. Without this students help, Hogwarts would still be closing and the perpetrator would still be at large however thanks to his bravery, Hogwarts is safe. If you could all give your applause for Tom Riddle!"

A round of applause erupted throughout the Great Hall, however, Evelyn did not clap. Instead, she glared right at Tom as he walked up to the front of the Hall. She sent him a stare so powerful she hoped it would burn right through him. It wasn't right for Tom to be celebrated when an innocent boy was awaiting trial in Azkaban for a crime he didn't commit.

Tom shook Dippet's hand as cameras flashed around the Great Hall, "Tom Riddle, I award you this trophy for Special Services to the School." Dippet said, releasing his hand and collecting a large golden trophy before handing it over to Tom.

All the teacher looked at Tom with delight and pride- tears even glistening in Professor Ellesmere's eyes as she stared at the boy. All except one. Professor Dumbledore did not clap, he did not stare in awe, instead, he sat with an unusually detached expression on his face. After Tom had received his award, Dippet dismissed the students, sending the Great Hall into a flurry. Evelyn quickly made her way out of the Hall carefully swerving around the clumsy first years on her way.

"Professor Dumbledore," She called upon spotting him in the corridor.

"Yes?" He turned to face her, stopping in his tracks.

"I was just wondering if I could have a word with you, you see there have been some," She paused, looking for the correct word, "complications."

"Come to my office, we can discuss all we like there," He said, leading the way along the endless corridors, Evelyn following closely behind him.

"I do believe it's been a while since we last spoke Evelyn," He said, taking a seat in his large red armchair and beckoning for Evelyn to take a seat opposite him.

"Yes Professor," She took a seat in the chair and sat up, looking him in the eyes, "It's just that I am not sure what to do with myself. You and I both know that the boy is innocent but he is going to go to Azkaban for a crime that he did not commit, it is simply unfair!" She felt tears prickle in her eyes and she hastily wiped them away.

"Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done. It is everybody's word against mine however I will see what I can do to help him." Dumbledore said with honesty, looking into his eyes, Evelyn could see he meant well: she could see his pure intentions from a mile away.

Evelyn had so much to tell him, she could feel the information threatening to slip from her tongue, but she knew she couldn't. "Professor I must admit I am unsure of what I am doing, I do not know how to stop Tom and all I have done so far is act as an accessory in his plans. I am a liability to him and I know he still does not trust me yet I am not aware of how to gain his trust. I do not know if I wish to do this anymore."

"Evelyn, you must persevere with your task. The boy must be stopped, he must be helped, and he must be changed. I firmly believe you are the only one who can do this," Dumbledore spoke sincerely.

"But why me, why not somebody else?" Evelyn said with a quivering voice.

"It just must be you, you must believe it can be you. It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

Although Evelyn was unsure of what Dumbledore had meant, she knew she had to keep going. Tom Riddle had to be stopped and she would be the one to do it. After her talk with Dumbledore, Evelyn headed towards the library, unsure of what she could do next.

The library was almost silent, with only a few sixth-year students sat whispering in a corner; it was just what Evelyn needed. She needed some time to think, and the quiet certainly helped her do just that. She pulled out her textbook and began studying the facts, copying out notes onto her spare pieces of parchment. She revised for almost an hour of uninterrupted silence before she noticed a rather odd-looking Tom Riddle cruising into the library.

She swiftly packed away her belongings and made her way over to him, "Are you alright?" She asked upon noticing his appearance. He looked dead; his skin looked whitewashed, purple bags hanging beneath his eyes and dry, cracked lips.

"Evelyn, as though you care." He huffed, dismissing her question.

"I do care, you should go down to the hospital wing, and you look as though you could collapse." She said with her arms ready to catch him if he did.

"I'm just rather tired and I would prefer it if you left me alone," He retorted.

"I'll leave you alone once you give me a good enough reason to do so," She pestered, placing her hands on her hips and staring him dead in the eyes.

He leant closer to her, his lips nearing her ear and whispered, "Meet me outside the Prefects Bathroom in two hours and I'll show you."

With that, he stormed away, out of the library and out of sight. Evelyn was hesitant at first, she had no idea what Tom could be showing her but her curiosity was overwhelming. She needed to find out what he was doing next: he was enigmatic, a mystery, a challenge. However, no challenge was impossible and Evelyn would not give up until she had solved him.